1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Crashing, can't figure it out.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Janri, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Janri

Janri Thread Starter

So I have a custom built computer. I built it myself haven't had any issues till this and I can't put my finger on it.

The rough specs are:
    intel q9400 quad-core processor
    gigabyte LGA775 ( can't remember the model I'll post when I get home ) Mother Board
    G-force 9800gt graphics card
    G.Skill 4g (2gx2) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
    western dig 250g HD, that's getting old but still runs fine.
    Window 7 64bit

I haven't had a major issue till just the other day when the puter crashed and now it's being really weird. It will load up to and allow to boot from disk. I'll go threw the boot cycle did a mem test. Reloaded. Went back threw did a restore repair. It went threw the cycle, restarted. I let it load got the message to continue to repair. I reloaded without finishing. Now it's stuck in a constant reload cycle. Sometimes it'll let me load all the way to the desktop then crash. After it crashes it'll go threw a series of crashes where each crash comes sooner at the load cycle. Until it's less than a second. Then it'll load threw to the boot from disk and itll let me start the repair then it'll crash and start the cycle all over.

I thought at that point that it was hardware. I started by Uninstalling a linksys wireless card I don't use. Nothing. Disconected DVD drives. Still crashes. Disconected harddrive, crashes. Disconected the gforce 9800gt card, forgot to mention that above. Motherboard doesn't have a port to connect a monitor so I'm blind. But it's still crashing. Disconnected ram, still crashes. Only thing left is the processor. I disconected /uninstalled that mother board sits there and purs. So I figured great it's the processor. Bought a new one put it on the board, crashes. So I have no idea where to go. Is it possible for a board to run on it's own but still be bad?

Any help would be great.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    By disconnected the Processor, do you mean that you Un-installed the Processor from the motherboard? Or that you disconnected the HSF Fan? With out a CPU installed the Motherboard is doing nothing. You may get some Case Fans running, and maybe a light on the motherboard lit. But that does not mean it is running.

3. Janri

Janri Thread Starter

Yes I uninstalled the processor. Yeah the case fan was working all the indicator lights where on.

4. petan

petan

it may be your power supply when you for instance open boot menu and wait does it restart

5. Janri

Janri Thread Starter

It restarts regardless what I'm in. And it follows the pattern I wrote above. Each time it reboots they get faster till it'll let me load to the desktop or to the disk then I'll crash and start the cycle over.

6. Janri

Janri Thread Starter

Any other thoughts? I'm gonna be playing with it more today and I'm all for sugestions

7. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

Of course the mobo sits there and purrs with no processor. It isn't doing anything.

If your problem isn't memory, then it IS either power supply or voltage regulators on the motherboard.

8. Janri

Janri Thread Starter

Is there any way to pinpoint which?

9. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

Do you have an oscilloscope?

You might just do a visual inspection of the motherboard looking for bad capacitors. Sometimes electrolytic caps go bad; you can see this as visible swelling in the cans and often leakage.

Also check the power supply for this, though you'll have to remove it and take the case apart to do it.

10. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

Uhhh...one other possibility.

Try resetting all BIOS overclock settings to default values. Make sure CPU core voltages are correct.

11. Janri

Janri Thread Starter

I have never overclocked it just let it run detecting it's own best settings. I'm a little skitish of messing with software, it's not my strong suit.

12. antech

antech Banned

Do you know how much power does the PSU Supply?

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921179

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice