1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

crashing desktop from a laptop problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tracy_lit5, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tracy_lit5

tracy_lit5 Thread Starter

This does seem to be a hardware problem to me as I have just realized this:

All the software on BOTH computers is same. Same AVG version with same settings, same ZoneAlarm with same settings, same software all around with a few exceptions:
    Laptop - WinXP is OEM
    Desktop - retail XP

Problem in brief:
    I can modify a file on the laptop by using the desktop.
    When I modify a file on the desktop using the laptop, it crashes every single time.
    This problem only started AFTER I installed my antivirus (AVG this time and Norton last time I reformatted several months ago)

The error that Windows is reporting after the crash is that it's a driver. Keep in mind though that AVG IS on the laptop and was there before when I was freely able to modify files on the desktop. It's after I put AVG on the DESKTOP that the crashing started

So...where can I go to look to find out how to fix this?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you think that the crashes may be related to AVG on the desktop, uninstall it.

More likely it has to do with the driver reported by Windows. Does it say which driver? Or at least which machine? I would guess that it would be your NIC driver on whichever machine crashes. Look for an updated driver.

3. tracy_lit5

I tried updating the network drivers. Didn't work.

I don't want to just uninstall AVG, because that program works fine. It's a conflict somewhere between the desktop computer and an antivirus program (as the same thing happened before when I had Norton)

Windows doesn't say WHAT driver. Just that it's a driver problem.

I have nvida, nforce2 and have tried the newest platform drivers (5.10) and they didn't work.

Tracy

4. tracy_lit5

INFORMATION UPDATE:
    I can create folders and files all I want...as long as I create the new folder called New Folder (leaving it at Windows default name) and I can create new text documents as long as I leave it at the default name of New Text document. I can open those folders, no problem. I can even open the document called New Text Document. I can edit that document and even save it. However...it's when I try to either rename the folder and/or document. THAT is when the crashing is occuring.
    If I create a new folder called Tracy, or create a new text document called Tracy Info....again, it crashes because I'm not creating a default name of New Folder or New Text Document.

Any new ideas????

Tracy

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    No new idea, but how about an old one? Looking more likely now that AVG on the desktop is causing the problem. Malware sometimes renames files or folders, so it is reasonable to think that an antivirus program may try to prevent that. Suggest you uninstall the AVG, try again, and then reinstall the AVG. Maybe there was a glitch in the first install.

6. tracy_lit5

the problem happened when I had Norton also. In addition, I installed xp, installed a few things and installed AVG (with trying to create new folders in between). Ran into problems with other things, so I started again and reofmatted again. And again...after AVG got installed the crashing started over the network.

Tracy

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "And again...after AVG got installed the crashing started over the network."

So, after all your experiences and reformatting, it appears to be a problem with AVG, or more likely an interaction of AVG with something else.

Do you have anything else running that may, like AVG, be trying to protect against malware--like maybe an anti-spyware program? If so, that may be the interaction.

But, going back to your original post, Windows said that it's a driver. I can't think of what driver could be involved other than the NIC drivers on the two machines. All I can think of to suggest is to keep checking for driver updates for them, and maybe contact via email or phone the manufacturers to see if they have had any reported problems with AVG and their driver.

By the way, do you have a recent version of AVG? I downloaded the Free Edition 7.1.371 on 12/14/05.

If you'll permit me a "war story" that may be relevant--last summer my laptop suddenly started to crash the instant I told Ad-Aware to 'check for updates.' I stopped doing so and just copied updates from my desktop. Last month I did an "upgrade" reinstall of XP and decided to try the Ad-Aware update again. Crash! But this time when I started Windows again, and "reported the problem to Microsoft," I got a message back that I should visit Intel and get a driver update for my integrated wireless adaptor. I did (the release note said that it was mostly for fixing an interaction problem with Ad-Aware) and I can now update Ad-Aware normally. Moral of the story is that there is some hope for a driver fix in your future. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430990

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice