Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crashing/Freezing while playing Games

3K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Kizko 
#1 ·
Hey TSG, I have a problem with my computer when playing games. In some of the newer, higher demanding games, mainly Mass Effect 2, Sims 3, Modern Warfare 2, and occasionally Team Fortress 2, my computer freezes, the monitor goes black and shows no input, the sound loops, everything is unresponsive. This occurs for about 5 seconds straight until it either restarts itself, or I have to press the reset button.

Possible causes:
1. I heard from a number of other threads that it could be from over heating. I've monitored my temperatures while ingame, and the only real problem was that Core 0 was about 60 degree C. Also, sometimes this freezing happens after 5 minutes of turning on the PC and playing a game in the morning.

2. Also from another thread I read it could be from a low performance PSU, which then I relised I had the computer's default one. But I bought a new $100 PSU, which should be more than capable of handling this.

3. This is a personal theory of mine, but I have two wall sockets running my PC system and other devices. But for each of these two plugs, I have a power board plugged in to allow more devices to run, such as my printer and speakers. My computer shares the wallsocket with my monitor, speakers and internet power plug, while the other powerboard powers my printer, homephone and wireless mouse. Maybe there isn't enough power getting to the computer?

4. My friend suggested to update my BIOS, which is apparently extremely outdated. He says that the problem may be clocking, and that a BIOS flash should fix it. I would prefer to do this as a last resort, as any problems could cause a severe rebooting issues.

5. A general cleanout of dust in the system might help? The case, a Cooler Master 690, does have quite a few open spaces in the casing.

6. Again another solution I would prefer as a last resort is the case of faulty RAM, that I would need to reposition them manually.

7. I haven't reformatted for a REALLY long time, and it might be causing errors? I really don't want to loose all my stuff though.

8. I've updated my ATI Catalyst and gfx driver, but I haven't updated my sound card driver. Possible cause?

System Specs:

Time of this report: 9/29/2010, 23:40:07
Machine name: S****
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.100427-1636)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: EP45-UD3
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz (4 CPUs)
Memory: 3326MB RAM
Page File: 1585MB used, 3624MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

Card name: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x9440)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9440&SUBSYS_03061043&REV_00
Display Memory: 1024.0 MB
Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: ati2dvag.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.7119 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 8/26/2010 11:56:36, 300544 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: n/a
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
VDD: n/a
Mini VDD: ati2mtag.sys
Mini VDD Date: 8/26/2010 13:33:38, 5386752 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-D700-11CF-3C68-0C23A1C2CB35}
Vendor ID: 0x1002
Device ID: 0x9440
SubSys ID: 0x03061043
Revision ID: 0x0000
Revision ID: 0x0000
Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_C ModeMPEG2_D
Registry: OK
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Enabled
DDraw Test Result: Not run
D3D7 Test Result: Not run
D3D8 Test Result: Not run
D3D9 Test Result: Not run

Description: Realtek HD Audio output
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes
Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0885&SUBSYS_1458A102&REV_1001
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 100
Type: WDM
Driver Name: RtkHDAud.sys
Driver Version: 5.10.0000.6050 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
WHQL Logo'd: n/a
Date and Size: 2/23/2010 10:28:52, 5862432 bytes
Other Files:
Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
HW Accel Level: Basic
Cap Flags: 0x0
Registry: OK
Sound Test Result: Not run

I can provide information if requested.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew.

See less See more
#4 ·
Heat is a possibility

Also, sometimes this freezing happens after 5 minutes of turning on the PC and playing a game in the morning.
It doesn't really matter how soon it happens or if its first thing in the morning. The components heat up very fast, can overheat in seconds after first turning the machine on if not properly cooled.

Exactly what make and model is the new PSU you put in it?

#5 ·
I'm not sure if it turns itself off and then restarts or restarts by itself, is there a way i can check?

When not running a game, the system temps are:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Core #0 - 44 degree C
Core #3 - 34 degree C
Core #1 - 39 degree C
Core #2 - 41 degree C
GPU Core - 51 degree C
Should I monitor my temperatures while ingame?

PSU Model: Corsair TX-750 750W ATX Power Supply

#6 ·
If you are using HWMonitor as Megabyte suggested then it may be worth running a game for 5-10 minutes, with HWMonitor running in the background, then repost.

It may be easier to screenshot HWMonitor and post that, if you do type it, please include the MIn and Max temps as well as the current one.

PSU shouldn't be a problem as you have a good quality unit and 750w should be plenty.

#8 ·
Looks like the CPU and GPU are getting very very warm.

This is what is causing the problems..when the video card reaches those temps it will fail.

Plus your CPU is getting very very warm also.

Clean out any dust in the system ...make sure all fans are running

Run the game on lower settings as a test and keep an eye on the temps.

But as you can see you need to address the problem as you only played the game for awhile and the temps went way up.

#9 ·
Will a general vacuum cleaner be able to used to clean out the system?

Also in order to fix the ultimate problem, what do I need to do? Install new fans? Apply new CPU thermal paste? A new CPU Fan?

Also, while testing Mass Effect 2, the game crashes in under one minute, which may be due to the processing power required to power it's high graphics. A little while ago I played CoD:MW2 on the lowest settings possible, low textures and graphics and it still crashed, admittedly a little less then running it on normal.

The fact that the system is overheating probably is the real problem, as it did crash almost every hour during the Australian summer, and hardly once this winter. The only real issue that is nagging me is that the system crashes during one of the levels of Mass Effect 2. By the time the game loads, it takes about a minute of game time before it crashes. Is the processing power getting that hot so quick?

#10 ·
Well you can tell if it gets hot that quick by using HWMonitor......also maybe if the CPU and GPU have been getting that hot for awhile could be some damage may have occurred...but lets see.

A normal house hold vacuum cleaner you should not use as it creates static electricity which can fry your components.

You can get a can of compressed air from a local PC store and blow it out.

Yes I would replace the thermal paste as the next step use something good like Artic silver. First you want to get the CPU temps down as the GPU can be getting hot due to age.

#12 ·
An aftermarket cooler may help, but I would also say it is an unecessary expense. The vast majority of the time, aftermarket coolers aren't needed unless you are overclocking or perhaps if the PC is being used in a area where the ambient temperature is particularly high.

Replacing the thermal compound, keeping it clean and free from dust and looking at the general airflow ni and around the case should be more than enough for a stock speed system.

#13 ·
I've opened up the case and cleaned it where I could, but I did a general clean out of dust when I installed the PSU. I did notice that there was a large buildup of dust under the fan of the graphics card, but I can't clean it because the fan is in the way.

Also scratched my monitor in the process. Facepalm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.