Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crashing Game Problems

6K views 55 replies 6 participants last post by  loesch8102 
#1 ·
I have a crashing problem. I recently purchased Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2. So far I've gotten about 10 minutes of gameplay after like 50 attempts of tryin' to play the game. For some reason I can't figure out why the game will just crash a blue screen flashes for like a split second and the computer automatically restarts. No warning at all... just kaput it crashes. Very annoying. I've had a recent problem as well... I had my computer fixed by a friend, but he's no longer in town. It worked for about 2 hours... then my bro did something in msconfig and totally screwed something up. So... i couldn't recover from that so I attempted to format and reinstall myself. Somehow I succesfully did this. ;) ... But... same ol' problem... still crashing. I've tried downloading the lastest drivers for the sound card, (Creative Audigy Gamer) and video card drivers ( GeForce 3 Ti 500)... everythings running on a 1.2 AMD 60GB HD... and Win XP... everything worked well before the reinstall... except for the game problem of Need for Speed... I didn't have it before my friend helped me out with it... If anyone has ANY suggestions I'm willing to try any of them!!! Thank ya :D

#2 ·
Hiya and welcome

Lets see what you have on startup:

Go to Run and type MSINFO32
On the left choose Software Enviroment, then Startup Programs. Copy/paste the list here

Also, are you using a joystick, or something like that? If so, lets see your IRQ's:

Go to Run and type MSINFO32
On the left choose Hardware Rescoucrces, then IRQ's. Copy/paste the list here

This is what EA say, but I cannot get the link, here it is:

Lock ups can often be sound related. Make sure that the correct device is selected for Audio Playback:
Make sure your sound card is configured properly:
1) Go to the control panel and double click on the Multimedia icon.
2) Click on the Audio tab. Change the Playback Preferred Device to <Your Sound Card>.
3) Click on the MIDI tab. Change the highlighted item to either FM Synth, MIDI Synth, or Music Synth (whichever is available).
4) Click on Apply, the OK or Close.
After this try lowering sound acceleration on the computer.
To lower sound acceleration follow these steps:
1) Left Click on START
2) Left Click on RUN
3) Type "dxdiag" in the box
4) Left Click on OK - This will launch the directX diagnostic tool.
5) Left Click on the SOUND tab
6) Locate "Hardware Sound Acceleration Level" under directX features.
7) Move slider to the second notch from the left. It should read "basic acceleration" after doing so.
8) Left Click on EXIT to return to the desktop
Regards

eddie

#3 ·
Software Environment/ Startup Programs

AIM c:\progra~1\aim95\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl HOME-RYPSFE8RL2\Ryan HKU\S-1-5-21-1547161642-1935655697-854245398-1003\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
CTStartup c:\program files\creative\sbaudigy\program\cteaxspl.exe /run All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Disc Detector c:\program files\creative\sharedll\ctnotify.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Jet Detection c:\program files\creative\sbaudigy\program\adgjdet.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
MSMSGS "c:\program files\messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background HOME-RYPSFE8RL2\Ryan HKU\S-1-5-21-1547161642-1935655697-854245398-1003\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
NvCplDaemon rundll32.exe nvqtwk,nvcpldaemon initialize All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
TaskTray c:\program files\creative\sbaudigy\taskbar\ctltray.exe HOME-RYPSFE8RL2\Ryan HKU\S-1-5-21-1547161642-1935655697-854245398-1003\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Taskbar c:\program files\creative\sbaudigy\taskbar\ctltask.exe HOME-RYPSFE8RL2\Ryan HKU\S-1-5-21-1547161642-1935655697-854245398-1003\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
UpdReg c:\windows\updreg.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
desktop desktop.ini NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Startup
desktop desktop.ini HOME-RYPSFE8RL2\Ryan Startup
desktop desktop.ini .DEFAULT Startup
desktop desktop.ini All Users Common Startup
nwiz nwiz.exe /install All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Hardware Resources/ IRQ list

IRQ 0 System timer OK
IRQ 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard OK
IRQ 3 Communications Port (COM2) OK
IRQ 4 Communications Port (COM1) OK
IRQ 5 Intel EtherExpress(TM) PRO/100 ISA Adapter OK
IRQ 6 Standard floppy disk controller OK
IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
IRQ 11 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 11 NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 500 OK
IRQ 11 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller OK
IRQ 11 Generic 56K HCF Data Fax Modem OK
IRQ 11 Creative SB Audigy OK
IRQ 11 OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller OK
IRQ 12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse OK
IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
IRQ 14 Primary IDE Channel OK
IRQ 15 Secondary IDE Channel OK

I appreciate the help :D

#4 ·
Okay, the first list....

AIM: AOL Instant Messenger. If connected to the internet, automatically runs up AIM. Convenience more than anything. Available via Start -> Programs

CTStartup: Splash screen with sound on every boot up. Installed with a Sound Blaster Audigy soundcard

Disc Detector: For Creative sound cards. Detects when you insert a CD, DVD, etc

Jet Detection: Added with SoundBlaster Live! or Audigy soundcards for headphone autodetection

MSMSGS: MSN Messenger utility. If you don't use MSN Messenger, this can be annoying. Available via Start -> ProgramsGo to MS Messenger > Tools > Options > Preferences and uncheck "Run this program when Windows starts"

NvCplDaemon: Intializes the clock and memory settings on nVidia based graphics cards - seen a d a flashing screen. Disable if you overlock your card

TaskTray: Installed with the Sound Blaster Audigy range of soundcards. Allows you to set EAX effects or equalizer settings for the Sound Blaster Audigy from a systray icon. Also allows you to launch the Taskbar via right-click -> Show Taskbar. The tasktray can be accessed via Start -> Programs -> Creative -> Sound Blaster Audigy -> Taskbar

Taskbar: not sure

UpdReg: Reminder to register Creative Labs SoundBlaster Live! cards

nwiz: Associated with the newer versions of nVidia graphics cards drivers. Allows you to immensely improve desktop layouts by setting preferences and optimizations. However, this isn't necessary for the operation of your system

Go to Run and type MSCONFIG, startup tab. Uncheck the ones you don't want, apply and restart.

Now, the other list.

This looks jumbled:

IRQ 11 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 11 NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 500 OK
IRQ 11 Generic 56K HCF Data Fax Modem OK
IRQ 11 Creative SB Audigy OK
IRQ 11 OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller OK
You have a video, sound, and modem on the same IRQ. For the Sound and Modem, can you move these to a new slot? If so, shut the PC down, move, reboot, and Windows will recognize them

eddie

#5 ·
ok, i moved the sound card to a differnt slot and moved the sound card to a different slot, but the IRQ for the sound card , video card , moden and the other three things are to IRQ 5 , i saw again there things i just listed are on IRQ 5 , and i still cant , get them on there own IRQ, i would update BIOS but there are like 3 different dloads for my motherborard . keep the help comming thanks guys

#7 ·
ok , well my bro and i reformated the hard drive and put Windows 98 on , cause my bro was talking to an IT friend and he said Xp isnt that hot for gamming, so we did that . But now the video card is back on IRQ 11 and the modem and the sound card is on there own IRQ :) , but there are still things on the same IRQ with the video card , but they arnt cards.. im not sure what they are , but i downloaded 4 in 1 drivers for are motherboard and it still seems to now work , as well as updated video card driver

#10 ·
Hi Gamerguy

I think trashing XP was a bit over the top ;)
There's an excellent article comparing win 98 & XP for game performance on tomshardware.com.......basically v little difference, plus XP don't crash.

Anyway, do you still have the problem you first outlined?

As for the devices sharing that IRQ, how about cutting & pasting so we can help? With XP, it assigns virtual IRQs, you don't need to worry, however now you're back in the land of win98, who knows.

BTW eddie 5659 knows what he's talking about, you could always reformat & put XP back (g) ;)

Good luck

MB

#11 ·
ok , it wasnt xp that crashed, just all my game , when xp was on i had sound , modem and video card and 3 other things on same irq . 0 System timer
1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
2 Programmable interrupt controller
3 Communications Port (COM2)
4 Communications Port (COM1)
5 SUP2751 PCI Modem Enumerator
5 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
7 Printer Port (LPT1)
8 System CMOS/real time clock
9 SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus
10 Creative SB Audigy
10 VIA VT83C572/VT82C586 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
10 VIA VT83C572/VT82C586 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
10 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
11 NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 500
11 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
13 Numeric data processor
14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
14 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
15 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller

#12 ·
Okay

You mentioned a bit earlier, this:

but i downloaded 4 in 1 drivers for are motherboard and it still seems to now work
Did you mean the game works now? If not, thats okay.

Your new IRQ list looks a lot neater.

If you're still getting the problems, have you looked at that first idea that I gave, in the quotes?

Also, how much RAM are you using?

eddie

#13 ·
well i did dload the 4-in 1 drivers , but i think im might have miss typed about them working cause they didnt help, Ram is at 320mb but gonna push it up too the 700 mark , maybe further if i can , ive tried takein off background prog's still no help , dloaded and installed black hawk down demo , that just freezes when i bring up the list of rooms. GTA3 only get the the part when they break out of the jail truck , then screen just freezes , but can still hear it play, and NFS HP2 , menu doesnt freez just like 15 secs when the count down till you start the race , i only get a few feet then crashes only to dest top now, didnt restart yet that i have seen .

#18 ·
Fraid not :(

Just normally come here, or other sites.

So, the video and CPU fan is working fine.

Is this happening with all the games that you play, or just this one in particular?

eddie

#20 ·
Can you confirm that all your RAM is working okay? It may be a bad stick in there.

Not sure if this will show the bad stick, but it may. If you get belarc from here, it will give all your system specs. Just wondering if it will show that one of your cards could be dodgy :)

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

eddie

#25 ·
It yes, thanks. Though, it says thats what you have, not if any are bad.

Anyway, until you can get some more RAM to fully test it out, did you try setting the Sound Acceleration as I mentioned at the beginning of the thread?

Also, and this can be for all the games, try dropping the Hardware Acceleration:

Control Panel | Display. Settings tab, Advanced. Troubleshoot tab.

Drag the slider bar one notch to the left, Apply and Restart.

You may need to do this to another notch, just to be sure, but remember where it was to start with.

Also, you say you've updated the video drivers, but can I just confirm them?

Control Panel | System. Device Manager. Under Display, rightclick on your video card, choose Properties, then Driver tab. Whats the version?

eddie

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.