Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

crashing game..

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  noobieeeeee 
#1 ·
ok i play a number of games on my PC.
i list them in order of which i play most...
Americas army
Battlefield 2(it seems to crash more on this game)
GTA san andreas
Starcraft
my problem is,my computer crashes at random times when playing.i get the screetch of death and everything freezes up. i get this black and white static crap on my screen as well as the screetching that drives me nuts.as far as i can remember it started happening after i installed my audigy 2 value sound card (not positive).i thought that it may have been an issue with power supply so i got a 420W instead of my 300W.same thing happens tho.it was happening when i had my old vid card as well(9200 se ATI).now i have a 9800 pro xt 256MB.another thing i think it may be is overheating? i have factory fans in it from when i bought it.although i always check to see if hot air is coming out when it crashes and half the time it pretty cool.hmmm i think thats all.anything other info u need ask.

Attachments

#2 ·
I used to get that all the time too, especially when I played MAFIA, atthat time, I wasn't running an AGP card, but now that I am, I don't have that problem too much anymore. When it does happen, I suspect that the CPU is getting too hot, possibily the AGP card also (it doesn't have a fan on it) I've checked the comp temp in the BIOS set-up, and the temp is close to the shut-down point, might be something to check yourself. Microsoft also has a service that will check your computer and let you know how well certain games will run on your computer. I used it before I bought FAR CRY. The program told me the ggame would run pretty close to the "edge" on my computer, and it did, never had it crash though.

#4 ·
noobieeeeee said:
any other tips guys?
Wow that looks like my machine almost. I have no problems running any of those games, it may be your drivers for your card. You also may want to check your video settings on these games and lower them all the way to the lowest they can go, or if there is the option, run them in 'Safe Mode'
It could be a hardware issue, but it may also be a physical issue, check the inside of your computer to see if anything is really dusty or things are wired in correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.