1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Crashing Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by klprice, Jan 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. klprice

klprice Thread Starter

I have a Dell computer that is about 4 years old. Last June the hard drive crashed and I had a Western Digital installed. It lasted about 3 months and the WD crashed. It was under warranty so the shop put in a no-brand name hard drive. Today, it started giving me the same blue screen of death I had with the other two hard drives. "Cannot write to Drive C. Data may be lost" or something to that effect. Something has to be causing these brand new hard drives to crash. I'm just a basic user who does mostly internet. I do not download music, I have all my antivirus, firewall, spybot, adaware installed and current. I use email (Outlook Express) and Yahoo Messenger and that is about it. I surf and communicate and that is it. I decided it is just time to get a new computer but out of curiosity does anyone know what could be causing these new hard drives to crash?

Thanks,
    Kay

2. buckfan1

buckfan1

You are saying they are crashing? Do you mean that they are failing and can not be formated and reloaded with windows?

3. klprice

klprice Thread Starter

I probably don't know the proper term to use. Someone somewhere told me that was crashing. It gives me that blue screen with that message on it. The shop I took it to replaced the new hard drive with another new one. I'm guessing because they felt the first new one was defective.

4. KingCody

KingCody

it sounds like your hardrives are fine. What is the exact error message that you get with the blue screen?

-if the computer reboots before you get to read it, go into your system control panel, click advanced, then click startup and recovery, and uncheck the automatic restart option, that way next time it crashes, you can get an exact message.

5. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

I agree that it is unlikely that the hard drives are failing on their own. I actually would question whether they are *really* failing.

Try changing the IDE cable with a new one; could be a cable with a bad connector; you unplug to change the HD, then plug back in and it works for awhile.

Also take a good look at the power supply connector; same idea.

After that, it would have to be a power supply problem, but I have a hard time seeing how it would kill hard drives and not motherboards/RAM - or, for that matter, the CD drive.

6. klprice

klprice Thread Starter

It says: Disk Write Error Unable to write to disk in Drive C Data or files may be lost. Hit any key to continue.

It doesn't reboot. Sometimes one hit of a key brings the screen back and sometimes I have to hit a key two or three times.

7. qldit

qldit

Good Afternoon klprice, it is possible that a high voltage power rail could cause the drives to fail.
    Your description is also consistant with hard drive clusters failing, is there any chance this machine is regularly transported or in a vibration kind of area?
    Leaving the machine permanently powered may also affect drive life.

You could try obtaining "Everest Home" it is an analysis program but has been withdrawn as a freebee.
    This is the only site I know where it is still available as a free bee, http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/...s_Utilities/Lavalys_EVEREST_Home_Edition.html
    be quick, use the download button about halfway down the screen called "Download Lavalys EVEREST Home Edition" if the download doesn't begin use the "download now" button on the next screen. I doubt if you will get the program from the proper Lavalys Home page anymore and I doubt it will be here much longer either.LOL.

If you can get your machine to run long enough to install this tool run it and check the sensors page temps and voltages. the +12 and +5 are the voltages of interest.

If you are having problems and would like to see if you can fix your hard drive, go to this site
    http://www.dposoft.net/ and download the HDDRegenerator program, open it and make a bootable CD or a Bootable floppy with it then boot on the media you make. Run the program, usually follow the defaults and then it will inspect the hard drive surface. If it finds any bad spots it will repair the first one.
    Running it repeatedly may repair others, but often with a drive failure there will be hundreds of bads so it may be a good idea to either consider buying the program or buying a new hard drive.
    Cheers, qldit.

8. klprice

klprice Thread Starter

I've downloaded that program. Thanks! I'll give it a try.

Kay

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/433873

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice