Crashing :S

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

reenigrl18

Ok i've had problems with computer crashing before but in the past ive either got the BSOD or when i redid windows it fixed my problem.

I'm running a AMD Athlon(tm)XP 2600+
1.92 GHz
256 MB of RAM
Windows XP, service pack one.
NVidia GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X

Ok, this computer is about 2 years old, I have always had MSN opened and windows pmedia player playing my fav tunes when I'm surfing the internet but the last say 3 months I have been getting nothing but crashing. If I leave Media Player not running it still crashes but it gives me a little more time online to be surfing, say 10 minutes.
When I crash everything freezes, and if I move my mouse to much I hear a beeeeeeep (long and continuious) within my tower. I really have no idea what the problem could be

I have tried taking my memory sticks out and placing them back in, and cleaning my fans out.. but nothing seems to be helping. Has anyone got any suggestions plzzzzzzz?

seems deep problem.
when do you last time format your system ?
do you have an antivirus program ?

Im just a newbie but it sure looks like something a virus would do - looks like something is draining your system resources. So do you have antivirus program, firewall?

Good Evening renigrl18, try this little program off the net, it is called Smartcop and is simple and doesn't miss much.
http://www.s-cop.com/free-scanner.html
That is a start. Run it by doubleclicking the black icon.
Keep it in a folder on your desktop.
Cheers, qldit.

reenigrl18

yep i have norton antiviris, and i recently reinstalled windows about a month ago. last night i was thinking and it all started when i added my dvd burner so i unplugged it, just seeing if thats the problem.. ill let you know - downloading smart cop as well thank u for that

Good Afternoon, reenigrl18, I wouldn't bet my "short and curlies" on Norton.
I suspect half the virusses written are aimed at it.
I note you mention WX-P-SP-1 you wouldn't by any chance have loaded SP-2 over the top?
This commonly causes problems with AMD systems. If this is the case I suggest slipstreaming your W-XP with the SP-2 (latest technical version)
This will integrate both sets of files an produce a third set that can be burned to a CD to make a new master which is usually problem free. If you decide to do that I will pass more info to you.
Cheers, qldit.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online