1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Crashing, stuttering sound needing reboot

Discussion in 'Games' started by paladinlongworth, Jun 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paladinlongworth

paladinlongworth Thread Starter

Hello! I've been having issues with a problem for awhile now and figured i'd look for some help. The problem I originally thought happened only in games. The sound stutters and the visuals freeze, then nothing responds have to reboot. Replaced the HD because of this and still having issues. Happens notably on games like Civ V, or Empire: Total War. It happens in almost every game with one exception. Fable 3 will run for days with no issues. I noticed though that the PC will crash just sitting at the desktop if left on overnight with any program running. Ran memtest and had no failures. Any ideas?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional , 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 30 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 4091 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260, 896 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 715302 MB, Free - 37287 MB;
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., P55A-UD3, x.x,
    Antivirus: AntiVir Desktop, Updated and Enabled

Dxdiag should be attached as well. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

The first thing I would recommend doing is updating all your drivers and software. Your graphics drivers (v258.96) are out of date with the current up to date version being v275.33.

Is your version of Windows also fully up to date, including SP1?

Is the machine a brand name machine like HP, Dell etc? If so what is the exact make and model? Have you ever upgraded any hardware in the machine?

Do you know what your temperatures are like? I use HWMonitor to get an idea of the system and component temps, if you haven't looked then download and install the software. Run it and screen shot the HWMonitor window with the system at idle, then run a game for 5 minutes or so with HWMonitor running in the background, after 5 mins close the game and screenshot the HWmonitor screen again, then attach the two pictures to a reply here.

3. paladinlongworth

Can do. The drivers are usually pretty up to date but I missed this one. Downloading SP1 to install as we speak. My machine is not a name brand, so to speak. Local computer store assembled what components I was looking for. I can't run the game test as I have to run off to work, but I do have the one SS of the machine sitting pretty much idle. I can tell you the temp does go up 5 or so degrees when running a graphic game.

Attached Files:

• temp.jpg
      temp.jpg
      File size:
      154.9 KB
      Views:
  4. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    I don't honestly think the drivers will solve it, but always good to have an up to date baseline to work from and sometimes it will fix random problems.

Temps and voltages look fine, HWMonitor isn't 100% accurate but can give a reasonable idea.

It might also be worth doing a full test on the RAM using memtest86, download the bootable ISO, then boot from the CD you have created. Run a full set of tests, let it complete at least 2 full sets (this may take a while) and see if it reports any errors.

What is the exact make, model and wattage of the power supply? It should have a panel / sticker on the side of it which should tell you.

5. paladinlongworth

Drivers up to date, also installed the SP1 for win 7. Ran memtest and passed with 8? 9? tests. It said pass, no errors. I will have to check the power supply in the morning before work. Sorry about the delays but thanks for helping!

6. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    No problem, at least we can rule out the RAM and parts of the motherboard (if the RAM slots were problematic that would also enduce errors in a RAM test). I am not the fastest person at replying as I usually only access the forums periodically when I am at work.

7. paladinlongworth

Ok so the power supply is a cooler master 550v, RS-550-FCAR-E3.

8. paladinlongworth

Anything else ya need?

9. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Not entirely sure now to be honest, have checked the basics with you and nothing really jumps out as potentially problematic. 550w PSU should be OK for that rig, I don't have any experience with the quality of cooler master units though. Hopefully someone else can jump in with some more detailed ideas, sorry.

10. paladinlongworth

Not a problem. Thanks for trying! It may have been as simple as sp1. Haven't really played any game but it hasn't crashed in a couple days.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1001908

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice