1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Crate training a dog - need info

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Cheeseball81, Apr 1, 2010.

Advertisement
  1. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator Thread Starter

Some of you may know, my boyfriend and I got a dog this past weekend.
    We did not get her a crate. It kinda bothered us, like it was something cruel to do.
    She was very shy and reserved at first. We keep her gated in the kitchen.
    She has full reign during the day, but at night, we preferred she slept in the kitchen
    It wasn't a problem until 2 days ago, when she realized she could leap over the couch (so much for the gate!)
    The first time she did it, I managed to get her back into bed and she stayed there all night, until about 9:30 the next morning.
    But last night, she just wouldn't listen. So my boyfriend said just let her sleep on the couch.
    Bad idea.
    We woke up this morning and she had pooped on the couch.
    Not to mention she found a book and tore it to shreds, then ate the paper, then puked on the carpet.
    Needless to say, it hasn't been a fun morning.
    We obviously have to keep her in a crate at night. I don't know much about this. I've never had to crate a dog.
    She is older, about a year. So I think at her age, this is going to be more difficult.
    The main idea for this is housetraning and to keep her from chewing/eating things around the house.
    I'm worried she won't react to this well. Any suggestions? Info?
    Thanks. :)

2. Laura87

Laura87

3. Cheeseball81

Great link. Thanks buddy :)

4. Laura87

Laura87

Mah pleasure

5. Cheeseball81

Hmmm...
    Mah? What happened to your NY accent? You must have one.

6. guy2

guy2

If you live in a house with a yard of any kind then you should probably give your dog freedom to go out when it pleases because they do feel confined and like to crap everywhere ,they think it's funny ,i have 3 dogs 2 big one's and they come and go when they want ,but when nobody's around to let them out they will crap once and awhile ,no big deal compared to before.

If you wan't to keep em off the furniture just load up your couches with to many pillows ,they get used to the floor again and soon enough they wont even think of the couch anymore.

I never kept my dogs in a crate for their own safety ,they are to strong and probably hurt them selves bitting out of it.

7. hewee

hewee

A crate can be great in many ways. It can be a place to just lay in so get on that the door comes off easy and they can open both ways too.
    It is a place the dog can come to like at times.
    But when the dog acts up. barking or jumping on people or what ever you can put the dog in it and put the door on. Train the dog so when he acts up he knows your put him in there. Other wise keep the door off.
    If you got a bigger dog or just get a bigger crate you can get one that can be used a a end table also. They are also good to put into the truck or car but the bigger ones would be harder to put in a car.

http://www.petsmart.com/family/inde...T/2767078&fbc=1&fbn=Taxonomy|Crates+&+Kennels

http://www.petsmart.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2767175&sr=1&origkw=dog crate

This one the door opens left or right but these type they come off easy also.
    http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3674772

So think about where your going to put it and maybe get one that can be used a a end table. Plus look and your see ones that have a table top to them

8. Cheeseball81

She did okay in it last night. The thing is, she misbehaves most at night. I will take her out to do her business and she just doesn't listen at all. She will pee, but never poop. Then I fear all night that she will have an accident.
    Last night she was being very bad. So by the time I brought her inside, she knew she was in trouble and then didn't want to go in it. Once I got her in, she stayed quiet all night. So crying or acting out. And thank GOD she didn't have an accident in it. Hopefully she will get used to it.

9. hewee

hewee

Years ago had a dog that would poop at night on the carpet. I put a stop to it. He never went buy his bed but on the other side of the room. So I but the leash on him and then the other in that you hold was under a leg. Very small dog "Miniature Pincher" so he could not move any thing.
    But he would not go poop at night after that because it was buy his bed.

So that is something you can try.

10. Bernardo

Bernardo

You can't have her think the crate is bad doggie time :(

11. Cheeseball81

I know. It's not punishment at all for her. It's only for nighttime and when we are out for a few hours.

12. Bernardo

Bernardo

Then she has to be taught that it's a safe haven :)

13. Cheeseball81

She will. It's only been one night.

14. Bernardo

Bernardo

Put her in it when she's been a good girl.....and reinforce the "good" :) And of course with her favorite toy.

15. Cheeseball81

She did well again last night. She isn't totally happy being in there. But she doesn't act up or anything. She sleeps through the night and still no accidents.
    We're definitely going to look into some classes, though. She's starting to not listen, mostly when she is outside.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914029

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice