1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Crazy Desk Top "short Cut"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by DDALE32, Sep 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DDALE32

DDALE32 Thread Starter

WINDOWS XP-HOME EDITION.

I constantly have a file appearing on my desktop, like a shortcut. It's name is ~ .. that's it .. tilde. I delete it and it comes back the next day. I have run Norton AV on it and ... nothing wrong.

This is the PROPERTIES info:

c:\documents and settings/don/desktop
    Size 175kb
    Size on disk 176kb
    Attributes = archive
    Type of file = file
    Description ~

After running Norton on it I tried to open it and did with Notepad and got a lot of computerese symbols. BUT some of the English that I could read lists the names of some friends I had sent e-mail to.

The date on the current ~ file is the date and time I shut the computer down last night.

This started when I setup DSL and news groups ...BEFORE going to Forte Agent. I don't know that it has anything to do with DSL but some of the cyberlanguage does say ASDL AGENT and the name of the bellsouth newsgroup address where I was sending e-mail about problems. Some of the e-mail addresses I do not recognize ... xxxx.newman.oscar.aol.com is one of them. (The xxxx is a name that I have covered.)

Any ideas?

Thanks,

dd

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The "tilde" ~ shortcut is actually a backup of your Outlook Express Contacts. Its appearing on your desktop due to a coding glitch in a Windows Update file.

If you are lucky, Microsoft may correct it in another update onle day.
    Or not.

This is a widely recognised problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166283

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice