Crazy Desk Top "short Cut"

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DDALE32

WINDOWS XP-HOME EDITION.

I constantly have a file appearing on my desktop, like a shortcut. It's name is ~ .. that's it .. tilde. I delete it and it comes back the next day. I have run Norton AV on it and ... nothing wrong.

This is the PROPERTIES info:

c:\documents and settings/don/desktop
Size 175kb
Size on disk 176kb
Attributes = archive
Type of file = file
Description ~

After running Norton on it I tried to open it and did with Notepad and got a lot of computerese symbols. BUT some of the English that I could read lists the names of some friends I had sent e-mail to.

The date on the current ~ file is the date and time I shut the computer down last night.

This started when I setup DSL and news groups ...BEFORE going to Forte Agent. I don't know that it has anything to do with DSL but some of the cyberlanguage does say ASDL AGENT and the name of the bellsouth newsgroup address where I was sending e-mail about problems. Some of the e-mail addresses I do not recognize ... xxxx.newman.oscar.aol.com is one of them. (The xxxx is a name that I have covered.)

Any ideas?

Thanks,

dd

The "tilde" ~ shortcut is actually a backup of your Outlook Express Contacts. Its appearing on your desktop due to a coding glitch in a Windows Update file.

If you are lucky, Microsoft may correct it in another update onle day.
Or not.

This is a widely recognised problem.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online