1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Crazy DNS issues

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Tiberiusfury, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiberiusfury

Tiberiusfury Thread Starter

So, I've been having crazy, progressing DNS issues for the past week or so. Or at least I assume it is a DNS problem.

It started off with a couple websites off of Yahoo News not working. Just "page cannot be displayed" things. Websites like Gamefaqs and the BBC, which obviously don't go down very often.

The next day, everything from the AP to Reuters were down.
    The next day after that, nearly every site I could find (with the exception of Google and Msn) were "cannot be displayed."
    My AIM connection on Trillian works, but not my MSN. My AVG auto-update won't connect now, either.

Note, I'm on a second computer now. I can't view this site from my main computer.

Note:
    I just did a mini-test and confirmed it was a DNS issue.
    I tried www.gamefaqs.com from the computer in question, "page cannot be displayed."
    Then, on this computer, I went to Gamefaqs, confirmed it was working, then whois'd the IP address. Then I copied the IP onto a flash drive, copied it off onto my affected computer, and tried the IP address: voila. Gamefaqs loaded.

Here's the relevant information.
    Windows XP Pro Sp2, Ultimate "eXPerience" Edition; I've had this installed for 7 months now and this is the first problem I've had.
    Up-to-date AVG free; full computer scanned successfully, no viruses found. ~installed for 24/7 background scanning.
    Up-to-date Kaspersky; full computer scanned, no viruses found.
    Sygate Personal Firewall Pro; no errors, very limited access to programs etc. I did close the program, with the same results.
    Ad-Aware Pro; full spyware scan completed with no results.

I have gone through all sorts of trouble-shooting, including router reseting and going through my router's settings.
    I've done computer to computer transfers using large files with zero data corruption.
    There are two computers hooked up to this router (Netgear WGR614), both using physical cables. My computer is the only one with any issues.
    I've switched both computers to new router ports, yet the problem doesn't change.

I've deleted all the entries in my custom HOSTS file.
    I also started my computer in Safe mode (with networking) and had the same problem.

Is there anything else that somebody can think of to diagnose the problem? Some program to check?

I'm pretty close to reinstalling Windows, but I don't want to do so until I'm absolutely sure I need to.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597762

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice