1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Crazy Explorer sort problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Melanomastein, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Melanomastein

Melanomastein Thread Starter

Out of nowhere windows explorer has taken a strange turn. As long as I've used windows OS it sorted directories alphabetically then it sorts files alphabetically. Now for some reason it mixes folders and files randomly. Folders aren't necessarily on top and files aren't secondary, I don't get it, please help.

2. stevecook

stevecook

In Windows Explorer, go into the view menu and you should be able to arrange things how you like from there.

3. moper

moper

Set your view to 'Details'. Then click once on the 'Name' box.

moper

4. Melanomastein

Thanks for the replies but these are very remedial solutions, the problem I have doesn't involve simply selecting Name, Date - Details, Icon, etc. I've discussed this with people on Windows help channels on IRC. Its a rare fault but it happens occasionally and I was hoping that someone had run across it on these forums, Id hate to reinstall if I don't have to.

5. moper

moper

Can you recognise any type of order in the list? The right click option, "Arrange Icons By" and then "Show in Groups", has many possibilities.
    Try another file manager and see if the sorting is correct. There's Winfile, Line 71, right side, from Kelly's Korner or a Bart CD has a built in file manager.

moper

6. 2ndChoice

2ndChoice

Did anyone ever resolve this? It just started happening to me this week. I've noticed that it occurs when I Browse from an application. If I go directly into Explorer, everything is sorted normally - Alphabetically. However, when I Browse, it is sorted by Date Last Modified. It is really annoying to have to change the View to Details and resort by Name each and everytime. You don't realize how conditioned you are to seeing everything sorted alphabetically. Thanks, in advance, for any assistance.

7. moper

moper

In the Open or Save dialog boxes, select Detail view. Then 'sort by name' by clicking once or twice(reverse alphabet) on the 'name' box. Now hold down the Ctrl key while clicking X on the top right corner. Surprisingly the same can be done in Windows Explorer. Open any folder in detail view. Changing the sort order by clicking name, size, or date modified, then holding Ctrl while closing the window with the X, will alter the sort order of the Open-Save dialog boxes.

moper

8. Melanomastein

I think my problem was different than yours so hopefully mopers solution worked for you, if not I did solve mine but its incredibly wordy to explain and also very time consuming to execute but if you don't resolve your problem let me know and I'll be happy to explain it too you. Maybe it will work for you as well.

9. 2ndChoice

2ndChoice

Moper's solution worked! I really can't thank you enough - it was driving me nuts! I'm glad you were able to resolve your explorer issue also Melanomastein.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593638

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice