crazy idea for retrieving info from broke hard drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

[email protected]

ok, i have a hard drive that has some kind of mechanical failure and of course when it died i didnt have a good back up of my files so i lost lots of pictures
but here is my idea i am no computer whiz but i am extremely mechanical and after opening up the broke hard drive i know i can remove the storage disk and install it in another hard drive but will the new hard drive recognize the info on it
i just want my pictures back and dont want to spend a thousand dollars getting info recovered i am not afraid to try if anyone thinks it might work

ok, i have a hard drive that has some kind of mechanical failure and of course when it died i didnt have a good back up of my files so i lost lots of pictures
but here is my idea i am no computer whiz but i am extremely mechanical and after opening up the broke hard drive i know i can remove the storage disk and install it in another hard drive but will the new hard drive recognize the info on it
i just want my pictures back and dont want to spend a thousand dollars getting info recovered i am not afraid to try if anyone thinks it might work
wait for other answers not an expert but i believe hdds are hemetically sealed, meaning no air, so you opening the drive have ended your chances of recovery, recovery services use clean rooms etc. to do this.

I think you have answered you own question, it is a crazy idea. Hard drives are very delicate pieces of hardware and you opening something that is a sealed unit will not help your chances of recovery at all. You would have wiser to have left it intact at least there might have been a small chance of recovery, now i think it is nil

jiml8

Do you have a clean room available? I mean, to a level that is appropriate for assembling semiconductor devices, with extensive filtering on the air supply? Do you have a clean suit, mask, gloves, and so forth so that you can be sure that absolutely no dust gets on the platter or the drive while you have it open?

Just remember that one tiny piece of skin flaking off and getting onto the platter will look like a boulder to the heads, given the small size and tight clearances.

One piece of dust will cause a head crash.

Try freezing the drive. Then install and download immediately. Sometimes (often enough) that works.

jiml8 are you really saying that the drive in its now dismantled state that putting it in the freezer that it might work? what about the fact of going from cold to hot and the condensation that would cause. If this was to work you would truly be a master techy

In my opinion, the 1st SAFE thing to try is to (with the drive installed) boot the computer with a Knoppix Live CD and see if you can see and access the drive. If you can see and access the drive with Knoppix you should be able to save your items to removable media such as a flash drive or USB external hard drive or even possibly burn the files to a CD.

As Jiml8 stated, you may be able to freeze the drive and get it back up long enough to rescue your files.

Unless I misunderstand the drive is already dismantled putting in the freezer is not really going to help , or am I missing something here

As I read the post he stated that he wasn't afraid to try. If he has already opened it up it's too late. :(

[email protected]

i may have mislead i havent taken this particular drive apart but have dismantled a few as for access to a clean room i have a friend that works for a x ray company that has agreed to let me use theirs if i want but first i need to know if the idea works in theory do hard drives all use the same method of putting info on the disk and reading it so that if one goes into another will it read

I honestly don't know, :confused: however I would try the freeze method and/or Knoppix beore I opened a drive. :eek:

jiml8

bigbear said:
jiml8 are you really saying that the drive in its now dismantled state that putting it in the freezer that it might work? what about the fact of going from cold to hot and the condensation that would cause. If this was to work you would truly be a master techy
Drive is already dead. Commonly drives fail due to bearing failures. Often freezing the drive shrinks the clearance enough that the drive will work again for a few minutes. If it lasts long enough and if you have prepared properly you can get your critical data off.

You put it in a ziploc baggie before freezing and you squeeze the remaining air out of the bag before you put it in the freezer. Works best if your atmosphere is not too humid.

If the drive is already taken apart, it is too late.

jiml8

i may have mislead i havent taken this particular drive apart but have dismantled a few as for access to a clean room i have a friend that works for a x ray company that has agreed to let me use theirs if i want but first i need to know if the idea works in theory do hard drives all use the same method of putting info on the disk and reading it so that if one goes into another will it read
No.

You would need the same make & model if this was to have even a prayer of working.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online