1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

crazy loud foghorn

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by punkybunge, Sep 13, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. punkybunge

punkybunge Thread Starter

First Name:
    Nola
    Not sure if this is where I need to post this at, but I have a HP All in One WINDOWS 10 COMPUTER.
    it has started doing something very strange. The screen will go black and it will start making a very loud sound like a foghorn and the only way to get it to stop is to unplug it. It doesn't do this often but it does it.
    What in the world could that be? It did this about 3 this morning and woke us up and it was unplugged.
    So far, the noise continues when you plug it back in. It will eventually come back on. Puzzled:confused::confused:

2. Lanctus

Lanctus

When you say it an "All in One" computer, I take that to mean you're referring to a desktop and not a laptop, correct?

3. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
  4. punkybunge

First Name:
    Nola
    Yes it's a desktop monitor with everything in it. I've never seen or heard anything like it. :eek:

5. Chawbacon

Chawbacon

First Name:
    Jack
    Hello Nola,

If I am reading this correctly, the foghorn sound occurred while the system was unplugged at 3:00 A.M.? If true, I can only conjecture one situation that would generate a noise when the system has no power; which would be due to some type of a transmitter being near the speaker wires, where emanations (possibly from something like a cell phone????) build up in a feedback loop and are then dispersed through the system speakers.

Good luck figuring this one out!

6. punkybunge

First Name:
    Nola
    Lol, no it is plugged in and on, usually playing music or just on. The screen will go black and the sounds begins. You cannot get it to stop until it is unplugged. Maybe 3-4-7 hours later, you can plug it back in and it'll conversation on and be fine for a week or so. Or plug it in and the noise is still there .

7. punkybunge

First Name:
    Nola
    No, the computer is on and usually playing music or just on. The screen goes black and the noise starts. The only way to get it to stop is to unplug it. If you plug it back up 5-6 hoesh later, it will either come on and work fine for a few weeks or month before it did it again. Or it will start making the noise again.

8. punkybunge

First Name:
    Nola
    I tried to start it in safe mode but with windows 10 the PC has to be on to go into safe mode. It won't come on to do the step. To you know if a way to do it like other Windows?

9. Lanctus

Lanctus

Yes I know. I was asking for clarity, as she'd mentioned it had happened at 3am, but it was unplugged.

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Only thing I can think of is a power issue within the machine. Not sure about a foghorn though... maybe a fan going to fast?

If you can provide a video that might help. If you have a product number and serial number I can have a quick look

11. Lanctus

Lanctus

If a fan was going too fast and had something rubbing against it (like a wire), it's plausible the metal case is amplifying the sound. Hard to know for certain without opening the system.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216463

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice