1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Crazy mouse

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thomas risher, Jan 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thomas risher

thomas risher Thread Starter

yesterday, I had high speed cable dialup added from Comcast using an external modum.. Now while I'm on the net for extended periods of time (20 min) my mouse takes off on it's on. When I touch it, it moves all over the place. But not where I try to direct it to. I restarted several times. It works for a while and back to the same thing. some times it this happens it disconnects me from the internet. And locks me completly out of the system except the crazy movement of the mouse pointer. I called Comcast and they say that it has nothing to do with there system. I upgraded my internet explorer to the lastes version. I started using another mouse. The same problem. When I had dialup access I never had this problem. It this related to installing the high speed or is this something else.

help

2. brianF

brianF

The only thing I can think of is if it where sharing an irq with your network card, but I doubt it. To check go to start/run/type msinfo32 and press enter, left hand frame, click on hardware environment, click on irq's. It will list them in the right hand frame, if the mouse isn't sharing then that's not it.

May be worth it to go to device manager, find your mouse, hit remove, reboot, let windows reinstall the mouse, reload your mouse drivers and see if it helps.

Also wouldn't hurt to run a virus scan but that's really a remote possiblity.
    You can run an online one here.

http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

3. thomas risher

thomas risher Thread Starter

what am I looking for when I do thsi. How and what tells me they are sharing

4. brianF

brianF

find the irq the mouse is using, it will say, see if anything else is using the same irq.

5. b4uv1

b4uv1

Did you try new batteries in the mouse? I have had this happen even after installing what were packaged as new batteries, and replacing the batteries the second time seems to take care of it. Hope this helps.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65161

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice