1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

crazy trojan infected computer

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by kathiez, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kathiez

kathiez Thread Starter

Help! my computer is totally infected with trojans and god only knows what else.
    My home page switched on me and although I did CW Shredder on it, it kept changing to something else.
    Then yesterday I got an e-mail from my internet provider telling me that there have been complaints because my computer has been spamming people!
    I have to e-mail them within 24 hours so they won't disrupt my service but I can't. When I hit reply my home page pops up in the message section in Outlook Express.
    To make matters worse, I can't hit reply on my yahoo or hotmail accounts.

I have probably tried every single free spam remover available on-line.
    They detect viruses but don't get rid of them. I have quarantined most things but the one thing that remains is TROJAN HORSE startpage 9.BG
    Before going out and buying some expensive software to remove it (which I can't afford) what else can I do?

I am typing this from my mothers computer. Luckily I can still read messages sent to me, I just can't reply to people from home.

I have windows 98 o/s if this help.

-K

2. polak

polak

You may want to use TDS-3, considered one of the best anti-trojan software programs. It has a 30 day free trial period.

Should you decide to use TDS3, it is adviseable to shut down any antivirus scanner you may have running before scanning with TDS3.

Download site

http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/

Update database before using (use manual update method).

http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=update

Configuration of TDS3 before scanning

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=2871

Once updated and configured TDS-3 click on "system testing">>click on "full system scan". Scan may take quite some time to complete.

When scan completed, right click on any entry designated as "positive identification">>click on delete>>

When all Positively identified entries have been deleted, restart computer.

Which "spam removers" have you used to try to remedy the problem??

3. alwrmc

alwrmc

First Name:
    B.L.
    Been in that predicament twice within the last 3 weeks! (picked up the trojans from sites off of www.astalavista.com). This ain't the advice most people want to hear. But I would strongly suggest that you stop trying to remove the dialers/trojans/hijackers and do a reformat. It's quicker and more apt to keep you within the 24 hour time period. You will then want to reconsider ever visiting the site that provided you with those little gifts!!

4. kathiez

kathiez Thread Starter

Now the computer won't start and if it does it only does in safe mode!
    what to do...................? how do I stop it from starting in safe mode?
    -Thanks, K

5. zmaster

zmaster

Well what did you do to end up with it only starting in safe mode? Polak's advice is good. My suggestion now is to contact your Internet provider by phone and get them to help you with a step by step process in either formating your hard drive or trying to fix the problems on your pc. Most ISP's have good technical help and they generally try to help keep their clients pc's up and running. Before you do something drastic like formatting make sure you have all your software for your pc (windows cds + code, any microsoft office cds + code, motherboard drivers, audio drivers, ect) and that you backup your important files if you can. Once you have your computer operational again i would highly suggest in getting anti-virus software and keeping it up-to-date by downloading the latest updates daily. Perhaps someone else knows a website for free AV with available updates?

6. kathiez

kathiez Thread Starter

the internet provider won't help with anything. They are useless.
    I have all the discs at home.

My husband reformatted and now the computer is up and running again. Thanks for the advice. I really appreciated it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271799

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice