1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

crc

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by rpinedo, Dec 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rpinedo

rpinedo Thread Starter

when i download from the internet adn i try to install the program i get an error. it says install.crc error..i need help please

2. Rockn

Rockn

Cylical Redundancy Check....the file is probably corrupt and if you have downloaded it numerous times it's probably bad on the server too.

3. $teve

$teve

rockn`s perfectly correct..........but if its happening all the time and your using a d/l manager i would try it without,see if that resolves it........if it does,delete and re install your manager.

4. rpinedo

rpinedo Thread Starter

im new to this can you please explain what or where i can find my d/l manager ?
    thanks

5. rpinedo

rpinedo Thread Starter

p.s it does it with evrything i try and d/l it says different things everytime right now i tryed it sayed " DoNt read C:WINDOWS\temporary\internet files\content.ie5
    yesterday it said "crc invalid " then it says something about missing or coruupt file ?

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

7. rpinedo

rpinedo Thread Starter

thanx i did that dooes that delete the programs or do i have to delete them one by one there was 100 files infected ?
    i did security 2 norton

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Ouch, what virus did it identify? I don't think the online scanner will clean or delete files. Hopefully it will have disabled it though and maybe we can install something.

9. rpinedo

rpinedo Thread Starter

Chernobyl CIH_SpaceFiller PE_CIH is the virus it i erased like 50 files see if somthin worked retested and it stopped at 101 files infected agin but scanned more files this time still not all of them though

10. rpinedo

rpinedo Thread Starter

do you know if theres anyway i can reset or erase my whole system if it will work i have windows me ?

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Scanning may spread this infection. There is a tool from symantec which will disable it but not clean files.

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/cih.html

The only real recovery from this that I know of for those who don't have an installed antivirus that can repair it, is to do a complete fdisk (repartition), format, and reinstall of Windows.

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

What type of original installation media do you have? Did the system come with a Windows ME disk or a "recovery" CD?

13. rpinedo

rpinedo Thread Starter

yea i got a windows me emergency recovery cd (bootable )

14. rpinedo

rpinedo Thread Starter

i checked the link to the site you sent the link didnt work and i read a lil about the virus

15. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The emergency recovery CD should completely wipe your drive and start you over. If there is anything you can save to floppies that you want to keep, you can try to do so.

You need to read your manufacturer's documentation on using the recovery cd or contact their tech support. If it's a common manufacturer such as Compaq, someone here might be able to help, but you should try a separate post.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60633

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice