1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Create a bootable Windows 7 DVD

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by matth1969, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. matth1969

matth1969 Thread Starter

Just purchased my first Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) PC (Hewlett Packard). No media was supplied with the machine and I have been advised that media is not shipped anymore (apparantley it is Microsoft's way of ensuring media cannot be loaded onto several systems).

Reading comments on the internet it seems clear that I have to make an ISO file, but I'm unsure what directory/files I need to pick and copy.

Can someone please assist.

2. NotRite

NotRite

As far as I can say....you just need to create a system repair disc. Click - start - maintenance - create a system repair disc.

That should do what you wanting including tools to help with other maintenance tasks.

3. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Microsoft sold Windows to HP and does not support it (this is called the OEM version). Microsoft doesn't care whether HP provides a disk or not, HP is responsible for its support. HP doesn't provide the disk because it's cheaper not to. After all, you do get the option to create the disk yourself. The O/S is locked to the BIOS. Copying it won't do you any good. (Incidentally, the Windows disk you purchase at the store or online isn't copy protected in any way. It's the CD-Key that determines the version you install--all versions of Windows come on the same DVD.)

The first time you started your system, it asked you if you wanted to create a restoral disk. If you did so, you have the disks you need. If you didn't, look in the HP menus. It's in there somewhere.

4. NotRite

NotRite

courtney is correct....it's where i listed in my post above

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Microsoft requires that OEMs provide a way for the end customer to get a working Windows back on the machine in case of some failure. Unfortunately, as you have learned, OEMs have pretty universally decided to that by way of a Recovery partition on the hard drive. When I bought my systems HP also would include a set of Recovery DVDs for an additional $10 (or was it $5?).

As Courtney indicated HP also provides a way for you to make one set of Recovery DVDs or CDs from the Recovery partition. Do this, because hard drive failure will make the Recovery partition unusable.

As NotRite instructed you should also make a System Repair Disk. Microsoft made this available in Windows 7 because of the above OEM decisions.

6. mrjsmith

mrjsmith

Anyone can download a copy of windows (free) as long as you have your license key. Once download, you can use Image burn to create your windows disk. [link to pirated Windows deleted by mod]

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    We don't support pirated software, mrjsmith. You can download Windows 7 if you buy it online from the Microsoft Store or another legitimate retailer. It is decidedly not free.

8. skeeter5000

skeeter5000

I just purchased a HP computer also.

Hit start, type recovery in the text window. A menu will develop above the window.

Click recovery disc creations.

You will need three DVD disc and the computer will go from there. DVD-R suggested.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977299

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice