1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Create a Linux Boot via USB on a Mac to install on a Windows

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by edam4, Apr 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. edam4

edam4 Thread Starter

Hi Sorry for the long header!

I have a brand new iMac and I want to install a good light version of Linux on a a Windows 10 Machine.
    It's one of those cheap SSD 32GB Machines that can't ever be upgraded, I know it was a silly buy!!

Anyhow I want to get rid of Win 10 as it's eating the Hard Drive and Memory and replace it with a more efficient form of OS like Linux so I can just browse the web and check my email.

Thing is I can't use the windows machine to create a bootable Linux ISO so wanted to use my new iMac.

Can anyone tell me please if there is a way to create the Linux Bootable ISO via the iMac to install in the Windows Laptop?

Thanks.

2. Sponsor

3. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

4. edam4

edam4 Thread Starter

Thanks for your response but the problem is I don't have Windows anymore, I only have Mac and so far I can't get a Mac program to setup an ISO to boot Linux off a Windows Machine. I used Unebootin and it goes through the process but the Windows Machine when I put in the USB doesn't recognise it.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Is the Windows computer perhaps set for UEFI and Secure Boot? That's the standard settings for a new computer and those need to be disabled in the BIOS if you want to boot other operating systems.

6. brooklynboy

brooklynboy

Are you trying to burn the ISO to a CD/DVD or a USB? Have you tried the following procedure on the iMac:

1. Insert a blank disc.
    2. Start Disk Utility.
    3. From the File menu, choose Open Disk Image and select the ISO to be burned.
    4. In the list of volumes, you will now see an item representing the ISO file. Select it.
    5. Click the Burn button and follow the instructions.

I have a brand new iMac and I want to install a good light version of Linux on a a Windows 10 Machine.
    It's one of those cheap SSD 32GB Machines that can't ever be upgraded, I know it was a silly buy!!

Anyhow I want to get rid of Win 10 as it's eating the Hard Drive and Memory and replace it with a more efficient form of OS like Linux so I can just browse the web and check my email.

Thing is I can't use the windows machine to create a bootable Linux ISO so wanted to use my new iMac.

Can anyone tell me please if there is a way to create the Linux Bootable ISO via the iMac to install in the Windows Laptop?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

7. edam4

edam4 Thread Starter

thanks for your response, I don't have a CD Drive on the machine so I'm trying to boot with USB.
    it seems to install Linux but then I get one error, and when I reboot it won't load it's saying there is no OS on the Laptop.
    I have reformatted for Linux and tried installing that way too but no joy. I even tried scaling back to version 14 from 16 and still no joy.

8. brooklynboy

brooklynboy

You have either deleted the MAC partition on your iMac or have deleted the MAC boot partition. I'm not sure what you mean when you say you reformatted for Linux. It appears that when you installed Linux, it deleted the HD and tried to set up it's own boot sector. Somehow it failed and therefore when you go to boot, it shows no OS installed.

You should be able to install Linux through a USB port or the MAC system through the internet reinstall function

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1188243