1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Create an association for email

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Britespark, Jul 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Britespark

Britespark Thread Starter

How do I "create an association in the folder options control panel". When I attempt to open an attachment to an email I get the following notice:-

"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the folder options control panel."

Any help would be appreciated...

Britespark

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Control Panel - Folder Options - File Types tab. Find the file type (extension) and set the program that you want to open it. If the file type is not in the list click on "New" and add it.

3. Britespark

TerryNet ... thanks for your interest, but please don't be influenced by the name, in this filed I'm not a very britespark at all. You refer to the "file type", but I dont know what type of file it is. When I click on the attachment I get the name of the attachment then "reservation numbers (115kb)". and thats it... nothing more. Should there be a file name between "numbers" and "(115kb)" ????

Regards Britespark

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Windows determines (actually, guesses) the file type by the extension. The extension is the last three or four characters (preceded by a period) of the file name. For example. myfile.pdf would be a "PDF" file (made popular by Adobe Acrobat), myfile.txt would be a text file (readable by Notepad), myfile.docx would be a Microsoft Word 2007 or 2010 file, myfile.jpg is a picture, etc. If the file name has no extension then you just have to know what kind of file it is (ask the sender).

5. Britespark

There does not appear to be any extension to the file name, so I'll have to get back to the sender. Many thanks for your time and help, at least I understand a little more about file types and extensions .... regards

Britespark

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1060190