1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Create an association in the default programs control panel

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by dwgough, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dwgough

dwgough Thread Starter

Have been using a Lenovo ThinkPad X200 with Windows 7 for some time. During the past week, the system has been preventing the opening of both files and folders. In particular, I use Dropbox. When I click on Dropbox from my Desktop, it shows up with the file list etc - when I click on a file or folder, the following message appears:
    "THIS FILE DOES NOT HAVE A PROGRAM ASSOCIATED WITH IT FOR PERFORMING THIS ACTION. PLEASE INSTALL A PROGRAM, OR IF ONE IS ALREADY INSTALLED, CREATE AN ASSOCIATION IN THE DEFAULT PROGRAMS CONTROL PANEL
    Would much appreciate step-by-step instructions on how to resolve this problem as soon as possible as it giving me serious difficulties.
    Many thanks.
    David Gough

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Try this fix: FolderFix

Unzip the fix and extract the .REG file to the Desktop. Right-click the .REG file and choose Merge. Note that you need to be an Administrator to apply this fix.

Reboot the computer.

If the fix only opens as a text file, right-click it and select Open With > Choose Program... Then, select the Registry Editor.

If the Registry Editor is not in the list, browse to C:\WINDOWS and select regedit.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974902