1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Create back-up partition?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by personperson, Apr 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. personperson

personperson Thread Starter

Hello.

I just bought an HP Pavilion dv7 I5 8GB Ram Laptop from the pawn-shop, it seemed like a good deal, and so far it's been going good. It came with Windows 7.

However, it of course did not come with any additional software or driver disks or anything, though everything does seem to be running smoothly, except I cannot seem to get Intel Rapid Storage Technology to function.. I uninstalled it and am trying to figure out if I can install it again and get it to work; I just hate having 'unresolved issues' like that floating around.

But. my main question is this; How would/could I go about creating a back-up of just Windows 7 and the drivers I have installed? Ideally it would be nice to have it on the same HD but on a different partition, or on a USB stick.

Another question; The HD has a folder called Windows.old on the C drive. It seems to be the relics of whoever used to own the laptop. Is it safe to delete the folder? It's taking up a very substantial amount of space.

2. CleaverX

CleaverX

The Windows.old folder is created when you upgrade or reinstall the OS using the Custom method, when you indicate the current OS partition as the target for the new installation the setup program finds the previous OS and backs up all the folders into the Windows.old. That is the reason it is so large.
    So look at the Microsoft tag at the bottom of the Laptop, if the original OS was Windows 7, there is a chance that all the extras that came with the computers are still available in the Windows.old folder; you can choose to just delete it, or buy Laplink's Upgrade Assistant, you would be able to restore all the programs from the Windows.old folder to your current installation. Then you could just delete the folder and reclaim a good chunk of HDD real estate.

3. CleaverX

CleaverX

As for backing up the computer, you need to buy a good imaging software title and use it to create backup images of the machine and store them on an external USB Drive, not a flash drive because they are usually just too small and I would not trust my backups to flash memory. Oh and don't forget to go to the HP support site and order the original installation media if you want to restore your computer to the original 'out of box' condition.

4. personperson

Thanks for the help. I found all the drivers ect for this laptop on HP. I deleted the Windows.old, the laptop shipped with Windows 7 and that's what's still installed.

I can see why some people are so adamant about building their own PC. I was planning to do that but ran out of patience so I bought this thing in the mean time lol. It always feels like something's broken or not working correctly or not performing as it should whenever I buy a pre-built system.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Certainly good advice, but also note that many of us are satisfied with a free version. I use Macrium Reflect Free, and Easeus Todo Backup is another one that others have recommended.

6. prunejuice

prunejuice

I would absolutely advise against that. A mechanical failure or similar event would leave you with no backup at all.

7. renegade600

renegade600

1. there are plenty of free cloning or imaging software available. a couple was already suggested and I would like to add clonezilla.
    2. it would be best if you do not use a partition. It would be better to use another harddrive.
    3. the first thing you should do is to make sure all drivers and the windows os is updated. be sure to get the drivers from hp only.
    4. you can delete the windows.old folder safety. since you did not create it - there is nothing you need from it.
    5. you need to make sure you have a legit copy of windows on it. if the os was installed from the original recovery disks or partition, you normally would not have have a windows.old on the computer. though you may not have a problem now, you may have genuine issues later if it is not legit.

8. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I would get the windows key now just in case it is legit but not the original version because it will be different from the key on the COA label. You can use the free program from here to get it :- https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

9. CleaverX

CleaverX

I still recommend getting the recovery media from HP, because that does not require a key or activation since it will only work on an HP laptop; also any free utilities and a way to regain the recovery partition would be restored. Retrieving a key with the magic jelly bean is not proof of ownership even if the key is legit. If anything goes wrong and you need to call MS activation, they will not help you without he id code from the original DVD

10. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I'd get a new HDD .. And Clone the system to the new HDD ... Then keep the current HDD as a Backup.
    I only get the Western Digital HDDs .. The Black series with a 5yr warrant .. (the really good ones)
    If you get WD HDD, The Acronis Imaging/cloning software is is free.

Then you can try the imaging backup methods ... to an external HDD

11. personperson

It seems getting the recovery media from HP is actually the only full-proof way I'd be able to recover the system abscent buying a new copy of Windows or jumping through all the hoops that reinstalling Windows 'by hand' would require. Microsoft actually has Windows recovery disk images; as in ISO, available for free for people who have legit copies of window, but you need a key of course, which I have, but Microsoft demands I get recovery media directly from HP, even though this laptop is circa 4 or 5 years ago.

As for the HP recovery software/partition, for some reason they're gone. The ~2gb partition exists, but it's empty. Obviously whoever owned it before me did something a bit silly.

But anway, thanks for all the advice.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146660

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice