create envelope using access 2000

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rkselby98

I am setting up a database for someone who never used access before or Microsoft Office.

This is for a non-profit org. They have about 500 clients who make donations and they want to be able to send a receipt back when they receive a donation.

So if they get a donation, they enter the information in a form and it gets added to a table.

I want to set up a form that will address an envelope using I guess a lookup value to add the lines for Name, Address, and City, state, zip for the donation. Maybe there is a better way to do this using something other than a lookup and if so how?

Is there a way to do this so if this person types in the first letter or letters in the Name field of the envelope form that fills in the name field and the rest of the fields at the same time on the envelope?

I really don't think mail merge is going to go over to well with this person and yes I am looking for simple way for the user to address the envelope without doing queries or mail merges.

Thank you

Easiest way to do this is to create a table with all the required information, then create a form so the user can enter all the information, and click on a "print receipt" button that will open a "report" that is a 8.5"x11" page with the donor's information near the upper left corner for use with a "windowed envelope" so the address (when the form is printed) will show through the window.

MS's website has several templates available for free. Check them out, maybe one will do what you need. http://office.microsoft.com

rkselby98

Thank you, I will check out the link to MS but just to be sure of myself, are you saying that this can't be done without creating the report? It can't be done creating a form the size of an envelope and putting in three fields for the 3 lines of the address and have it lookup the info and input it?

Been 4 years since I worked with access so I am not up on all the things l used to be and for me now to do something I have to try and experiment to get my mind to remember the things it did 4 years ago. I hope you don't mind what may seem like foolish questions and second I am sure others would like to know if there is a way to create an envelope form that will do this just using the 3 field lines of the address or using the address fields, fname, lname, address1, address2, city, state, and zip without creating reports to fill in the info other than maybe a query. Guess that is how I want to state this.

Any time you are printing something out, with Access, it needs to be from a "report." A report can be easily generated using the Report Wizard. It gives you the options on which table to pull the information from, and what fields to use (such as just the address information), and will display it on the report.

The query can be used in a way where you only want to print out "new" records, and printing them out marks a checkbox that says it's been printed. The report would then have to be pulled from the query and only pull "unchecked" records.

rkselby98

So instead of creating a form I might as well create a report and set it up to print the envelopes and receipts for each donation.

I will have to look into this. Thank you for your help.

rkselby98

I found this on the web and to me it is Greek or not trying to be offensive but something I don't understand and that is code like this. Can you explain this to me? It looks interesting and if it works it is what I would like to do.

The following is quoted from http://www.utteraccess.com/forums/showflat.php?&Number=1167808

I have seen so many ask how do I print a form?

Normally you don't print forms you use reports but when the need arises here is how you do it.

The Form must be open it can be hidden but it must be open.

The code you use is as follows:

DoCmd.SelectObject acForm, "Your Forms Name Goes Here"
DoCmd.PrintOut acPages, 1, 1

This can be called from the click event of a button on another form or from inside a Function.

In Access2002, many more options are available.
You can choose print quality, landscape/portrate, which pages etc
I think paper size, print margins can be changed as well, whereas in Access2000 they can not.

For example:

Printer.Orientation = acPRORPortrait
DoCmd.PrintOut PrintQuality:=MyPrintQualityG, _
Printrange:=MyPrintRangeG, PageFrom:=MyPageFromG, _
PageTo:=MyPageToG, Copies:=MyCopiesG

The printer object was new in A2002,
check the help file for more info.

Hope this helps someone who really needs to print a Form.

Edited by: GlenKruger on Thu Jun 29 19:21:23 EDT 2006.

I'd rather print from a report. There may be some fields on the form that you don't want to print out.

For me, a form is used to input data, a report for exporting data.

rkselby98

Now I am getting confused. I just opened the access database, opened the form, filled in the fields, which in turned filled in the table and then clicked File, Print and it printed the form for me.

SO if I can print from the form how can I get an Access form to lookup the data I woulld like in the address if I created a envelope form using just the first few letters of the name field? Or and I don't know how to state this, take the address fields in the donation form when it is filled in and open another fom with the address information?

rkselby98

I'm sorry, I got things backwards. I was trying to do in a form what I should have been doing in a report and sometimes when I get things in my head I have trouble getting them straight again.

I worked with dreamboat last night and she helped me get it right. Now the problem is solved except I can't get the darn things to accept my .25 inch margins and wants to print a 1 inch margin on the envelope. Once I get this figured out the envelope part will be finished.

Have a great day and thank you.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online