1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Create .htm document using NotePad

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by spinningjennie, Nov 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spinningjennie

spinningjennie Thread Starter

MY TASK
    I'm trying to create a new *.htm document using Notepad, which I should then be able to view in Internet Explorer by double clicking the *.htm file.

PROBLEM:
    I can't create a new file with an .htm extension. I only have the option of creating a .txt file in NotePad. (I'm presuming) that since my file doesn't have the .htm extension, when I double click it I can't view it in Internet Explorer. (I have got the <HTML> & </HTML> tags at beginning and end of the notepad file).

2. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

once you save the file as txt. just right click on the file and rename it with an html extension.

or when you save as just put the file name in quotes.

like save as "test.html"

then even if the save properties is set for text, it will still save as html extension.

3. hewee

hewee

spinningjennie,

Hey welcome to the Techguys.

Will you can type what you want in notepad and then pick file, save-as and type in the file name but add .html to the name.
    Say you notepad name is spinningjennie you then click save-as and change the name to spinningjennie.html.

4. spinningjennie

5. spinningjennie

Many thanks for your help! The renaming doesn't work because file type is still 'text document'. But the Save As alternatives both worked!

6. spinningjennie

Many thanks! This worked perfectly, allowing the doc type to change from .txt to .html.

7. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

renaming does work, but when you rename and add the .html extension you have to delete the .txt entension part too.

so if you had "file.txt" you would right click on it>rename>delete the .txt part in the name>then add .html to the name.

if you don't remove the .txt part, and you put the .html extension before the .txt, you will get "file.html.txt" which is still a text file.

anyways good that you got it working.

8. hewee

hewee

Your welcome.
    Now if you sent the html to someone I am not sure if it will work or not. But if it does not the open the html file and click file, edit and open it in composer and then use the save-as again. That way it will be made in a html program.

The same is true with images at some web site you need to ad .jpg, .bmp etc to save the image.
    But sometimes some image programs will not let you open them but open it in a image program that will open it and then save-as whatever and then it will open in all the other image programs.

9. hewee

hewee

Save it as a .txt file first and then open it up again and then use save-as and add the .html to the name.

No renaming a text file and adding the .html will not work. Will on some images but not what your trying to do.

Was going to say that you can just rename it because the .txt ext is not on the end of the file name. But if you have your settings to so it does not hide MS-DOS file ext. then it will work.
    Hehe I just learn something too.

So your right that what ever is after the last .??? is what the the file type will be.
    When I renamed the .html to .txt is was the default windows icon and I had to use the open-with but it still works. Oops I forgot the . before txt, so it does work right.

10. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

I forgot to mention the best answer. Just get Rogsoft Notepad+.

version 1.1 or newer.

It gives you the option to save as an html right in the

"save as type"

Notepad plus comes as a file notepad.exe. You just replace your existing notepad.exe with this much much better one.

Or if you want to edit html files similar to notepad, but with all the added features, just get html kit from

http://www.chami.com/html-kit/

I used html kit and notepad plus. when I use to use regular notepad, I would just save it as .txt and rename the file to an html extension and it always worked. Of course I never had my extensions hidden though. Renaming from a text file to a html or vice versa doesn't affect the file at all. NO coding is change. Anyways. try notepad plus.

11. hewee

hewee

Shadow2531,

I will check into them.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!