create image of windows drive and boot on virtual machine?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

raedbenz

Hello,,

I have a pc runs windows xp and runs some applications that are installed on the C drive (windows drive).
i would like to make a bootable image of the windows drive, and boot it on another PC and run the apps, using a virtual machine utility, like vmware or Sun VB.

is it possible??
if yes what apps need to do that?
if no, then suggestion plz?

Thanks

Technically, yes it is do able but you will need to run some type of universal restore from a tool like Acronis true image. Even then it will sputter and choke to life because it needs to reconfigure its entire driver setup. I know this from experience (performed this for a repair customer who needed data recovery in which i did not know the location of the saved files from the application) but as stated it would be illeagal to use as a main machine.

If it's a Retail version of XP, you can transfer the license to a Virtual Machine as long as you uninstall it from the original system.

If's it's an OEM version, you can't, as the VM is considered a different PC.

If you upgraded an OEM version of Windows with an Upgrade version of XP I don't know.
Win 7 allows you to do a one time transfer of an upgrade version in that case as long as you have a qualifying product licensed on the new system. You have to uninstall and re-install though, you can't transfer the qualifying product.

I don't think that was allowed with XP. Once the upgrade was installed, it can't be separated from the qualifying product, so the qualifying product would have to be transferable.

Haven't tried converting a system so can't speak to that.

raedbenz

Technically, yes it is do able but you will need to run some type of universal restore from a tool like Acronis true image. Even then it will sputter and choke to life because it needs to reconfigure its entire driver setup. I know this from experience (performed this for a repair customer who needed data recovery in which i did not know the location of the saved files from the application) but as stated it would be illeagal to use as a main machine.
hello,

thanks for the reply,, yea i will not use it as a main pc,, just need to fetch some data...

i found online this tool DriveImage XML, will it do the job ???
they say it dows create an image of a running windows drive using ShadowCopy...

Thanks

Im confused, if you need to fetch data files why dont you just copy them to an external :confused Only reason i went through the work i did with the virus infected image was due to the fact in which the application the user used, i was not sure where it would store its data, and the type it was there would be no definitive way to identify what program made the set of data, therefore only way to find out was to boot the image, open the application, and find the dump location of the files through its settings and then proceed to export the data out of the virtual pc.

could you please clear up what you are trying to do.

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
I believe VMWare has an application that will create a VM from a normal install.
There may well be others as well.

raedbenz

use VMware vCenter Converter to create image of the c drive then use vmware player to run image as a virtual machine

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online