1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Create Network with Router and Switch

Discussion in 'Networking' started by richardwong, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. richardwong

richardwong Thread Starter

I'm trying to create a network between two computers and a laptop using both a switch and a router so that I can use the two IP addresses provided by my ISP. My setup is as follows:

My cable modem is connected to the switch (some SMC EZ-Switch). From the switch it is connected to one computer and to a wireless router (DIR-615). The wireless router is connected to another computer and my laptop.

So one computer will have it's own IP, while my other computer and laptop will share one via the router. The problem is the computer with it's own IP cannot see the computers connected to the router on the network, and vice versa.

So, how can I get this setup to work?

Thanks in advance.

2. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

On the computer in question, is it configured with a static "PRIVATE IP" on the same subnet as the rest of your computers? This needs to be done. Typically, you want the Cable Modem plugged into the router, not the switch. The switch can be plugged into the router just to add more ports to your network, but that's about it.

3. Compaq__

Compaq__

I agree with the skinny white guy. Let me ask you this though. Could you plug your pc that is in the SWITCH into the ROUTER and configure that PC for DHCP? That would probably solve your problem.

4. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

That's a lot of work. He would have to install and configure a server OS to do that. The router can just as easily issue out IP addresses, and then all the other machine would need is a static IP, which takes about a minute to set up. Besides, the cable modem SHOULD go directly into the router.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    To have computers "see" each other you want them on the same network (subnet). If you have them on different public IP addresses you may (but shouldn't) be able to do file and printer sharing. When you put one (or two in your case) behind a router, hence on a private (local area) network, you do not have a problem; you have the isolation expected when using a router in that manner.

To do what you want you will have to also connect that first PC to the LAN of the router (using a manual IP configuration with no gateway or DNS specified). That way it will still use its current connection for internet access, but with the 2nd connection will be on the same network as the other two computers.

6. Compaq__

Compaq__

Let's keep it simple if we can. If you just have everything configured for DHCP and have them plug into or run wirelessly from the router, you will be fine. This doesn't have to be complicated.

Is your router setup to issue address via DHCP?

7. richardwong

Maybe I shouldn't have said my experience is intermediate... haha I'm already kind of lost. I'll describe my situation a little more.

The reason I have a switch in the first place is so that my two computers would each have their own IP address. My understanding was that this could not be done with a router. With that setup, my two computers were visible on the network and had their own IP address. Since then I've recently purchased a laptop, and as well, a wireless router.

skinnywhiteboy:
    I don't think its configured with a static "PRIVATE IP," I've just connected them and haven't really done anything other than make them members of the same workgroup.

Compaq_:
    I'm not sure what that means. But I could plug the computer into the router and my network would work fine, but I want one of my computers to retain the IP address obtained by my ISP and not one set by my router.

TerryNet:
    When I had two computers hooked up to a switch I had two different public IP addresses and was able to do file and printer sharing. Are you saying I will be able to use my router to give one computer a public IP, while having two other computers share an IP? If so, I'd like to do that and wouldn't need my switch. Also, I don't really know how to use a manual IP configuration with no gateway or DNS specified.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The phrase "so that I can use the two IP addresses provided by my ISP" led me to believe that he wants to use both public IP addresses for internet access. Maybe he wants to play internet games against himself. :)

I really don't care whether he keeps it simple or not; just wanted to show how he could accomplish what he apparently is trying to do.

9. Compaq__

Compaq__

Richard,

1. Your router should be able to do DHCP.
    2. Why do you want one computer with the IP address assigned by your ISP?
    3. Could you go to one of your PC's that are connected to the router and do the following:

Go to a command prompt
    Type Ipconfig /all
    Copy and paste the contents here

10. richardwong

I assume my router is setup to issue addresses via DHCP. But then again, I don't really know what that means. I know I can just plug everything into my router and have my computers networked and connected to the internet, but I just wanted to have one computer retain a public IP instead of one from my router.

My having a network isn't a big deal. Neither is it for me to use both IP. So if its too hard to get what I want, then I just might not bother.

Thanks for all the replies guys!

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    richardwong, if you want to use both public IP addresses and still do file and printer sharing on all your computers you,

a. keep the setup you now have;

b. also connect the first PC (the one that is now connected to the switch) to the router via another ethernet connection or wirelessly; on this second connection set the TCP/IP properties to an IP address on the same subnet but outside the Dhcp server's address range, mask = 255.255.255.0 and leave the Gateway and DNS addresses blank.

12. richardwong

Compaq_:
    2. No reason in particular. I mainly just want to use both IP's provided. Also, the other computer is my brother's. I guess you could say we don't like sharing.. haha

3. I'll do that when I get home.

13. Compaq__

Compaq__

We'll wait to hear from ya.:)

14. richardwong

TerryNet:
    That means I would have to buy another ethernet card then right? And then connect it to the router?

Is there another way without me buying anything else? I'm just not going to worry about it.

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You can't eat your cake and have it too; unless you buy another one.

I think that between Compaq__ and me you know all the options that we know about.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699632

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice