1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

create on association in the association system association control panel

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by m3op, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. m3op

m3op Thread Starter

How do you create an association in the systems association control panel. I can't open attachments when I get this message.
    Help!:(

2. kenny111111

kenny111111

hello,
    it may help if we know the file extension you are trying to open ie .bat, .wmp, .pps ect , to see what program should open it...

thanks

3. m3op

m3op Thread Starter

The attachment said the file was odt, but I couldn't find it in the association . As I read on it also said it may be a xml file. I changed that file to Internet explore, but it still didn't open the attachment. I didn't dare to try anymore as I don't know what I'm doing.

4. kenny111111

kenny111111

5. m3op

m3op Thread Starter

Kenny,
    How can you tell what the file is that won't open? Does it hurt to change the association to another application to open it. Will it cause a malfunction in the computer?

6. kenny111111

kenny111111

if you right click on the file in question and choose "open with" a list of programs will pop up...if you choose one that don't work it will just say windows can't open it with that program...however if you have the right program to open it with (in the list) just choose it, then it gives an option to always open this type of file with that program...

if you have the program on your computer, and its not on the list choose "browse" then navigate to it, and give it permission to open with in the future..

if you don't have the program on your computer you must find a program as i linked earlier and install it, then it may show in the list, it may assosiate automatically, or you may have to browse one time..

hope you get this !

7. kenny111111

kenny111111

right click it and choose properties, should show you the file extension.. this one is .txt

Attached Files:

8. m3op

m3op Thread Starter

Kenny,
    I was going to download the program you mentioned, but I see Vista wasn't on the list of downloads. I wasn't sure if I could download it, so I didn't.
    Thanks for all your time and help. I appreciate it very much.
    Jan

9. kenny111111

kenny111111

10. m3op

m3op Thread Starter

Kenny,
    I tried to open the attachment with the rt.click. Only got the message open not "open with". When I clicked on open, I got the same message.
    "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the set association control panel."
    Jan

11. kenny111111

kenny111111

you dont have the "open with" option??

12. kenny111111

kenny111111

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972935

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice