1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Create registry entry...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by TRS-80 vet, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TRS-80 vet

TRS-80 vet Account Closed Thread Starter

I got admin rights to edit the registry (and I've edited it before), but I've never 'created' registry items.

I need to create this item:

I have 'Policies', but no sub-Keys, or sub-Values, called 'Explorer'...

Help?

2. fel1x

fel1x

3. TRS-80 vet

Thanks there fel1x, but no luck there (3 strikes in one post - you're OUT!) :D

Just kidding.

The first 2 talk about .reg files. I have the registry open, so I don't need any files. The 3rd one doesn't tell users anything about creating keys/values/etc.
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explor er]
    "NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000001

I have 'Policies'; I do not have 'Explorer'.

What do I highlight, and right-click on?
    Then on the rt-click menu, I click 'New', but new what?

4. bbearren

bbearren

Right-click on "Policies", highlight "New" and select "Key". Rename the New Key "Explorer".

Next, right-click your new "Explorer" key, and this time you want a new "DWORD". You will be offered 32-bit or 64-bit. If the instructions you're following don't specify 64-bit, I would go with 32-bit. Rename the New DWORD "NoSaveSettings".

Next, right-click your new "NoSaveSettings" DWORD and select "Modify". In the box that opens, select the "Decimal" radio button, and put a "1" in the value box and click OK.

5. TRS-80 vet

Ok; this is what I was looking for here - thanks! (got Linux doing an install at the moment)

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can mark your thread "solved" using the button at the top of the page.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977622

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice