1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Create sequential invoice numbers in Excel for Mac 2011

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by greeneg, Jul 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. greeneg

greeneg Thread Starter

Hi!

I need to create an Excel spreadsheet for invoices. I'd like the original to be Invoice 000001. Then, each time I open the sheet, I'd like it to increment +1, i.e., the first time I open the original, it becomes Invoice 000002, and so on.

I've been several hours now searching, and either nothing quite seems to fit, or it;s too advanced for me. I have zero macro experience, SEQ experience, etc., so if you have some thoughts, I would TRULYt appreciate it if you supplied them as though you were talking to your Labrador Retriever! :)

I know this is a matter of some fairly rudimentary code, but issues like where the code gets pasted, etc., are stumping me so far.

Thanks for any and all help!

2. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

what cells are you wanting to change
    do you mean excel - as the title says word?

3. greeneg

greeneg Thread Starter

Ooops!

Title should have said Excel.

I need to change just one cell. In other words, in the template there will be one cell with the invoice number in it. Each time I open the sheet I want that number to add +1.

So let's say cell A1, invoice number, has the value 000001 and I create a customer invoice The next time I open the template, I want A1 to read 000002, and I'll create and save another invoice. The time after that, the value when I open the template would be 000003, and so on.

Thanks !

4. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

i have changed the title for you

5. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

Code:
    Private Sub Workbook_Open() 
        Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Value = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Value + 1 
    End Sub 
    BUT if you open and do not use then save - next time it will increment - so not all invoice numbers maybe used

6. greeneg

greeneg Thread Starter

That should work - but what do I do with the code? Where do I paste it or whatever. Thanks very much!

7. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

8. greeneg

greeneg Thread Starter

Thanks again - but that file dates to 2005 and is for windows. I'm on a Mac, Excel 2011. So for example, the first step is press Alt-F11. There's no such command in Excel Mac 2011.

I'm stumped - I've been to Office Support, but that tells you how to record a macro, not how to insert one. On the one hand, I'm not a complete idiot, but on the other, this whole process seems unnecessarily complicated, not unusual for MS software.

That said, if you could hold my hand a bit longer, or point me to a more contemporary help file aimed at a Mac user, I would truly appreciate it!

G

9. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

sorry about that - you did say Mac in title my mistake

I dont have or use a mac - so will have a search on google and see if i can find something that makes sense

10. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

11. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

Microsoft’s Excel 2011 team has also worked to make Mac macros compatible with those written for Excel for Windows. According to Microsoft, Excel 2011 for Mac features a full port of the Windows Office VBA environment; in most cases, the OS X and Windows versions of VBA now mirror each other

have a look at
    The VBA Editor – A Quick Look
    here
    http://excelsemipro.com/2010/11/excel-2011-for-mac-installation-preferences-and-vba/

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1061983