creating a application link on the desktop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mr.Welder

I'm a new user to linux and this is my first attempt to get a program to run.I read one post on how to get firefox to run on linux and extracted the file to /usr/local/sbin-(that is after I fought and fought with trying to get write permisson to that directory and after a google search I found the chmod command ).
So my question is now that the firefox file is in /usr/local/sbin How do I create the link to the files to get it to run? I understand if I right click on the desktop and select create a application link but I don't know where to go from there.Do you type the path in the window that pops up?Any input would be greatly appeciated -thanks:confused:

red hat 9.0 kde

Mr.Welder said:
I'm a new user to linux and this is my first attempt to get a program to run.I read one post on how to get firefox to run on linux and extracted the file to /usr/local/sbin-(that is after I fought and fought with trying to get write permisson to that directory and after a google search I found the chmod command ).
So my question is now that the firefox file is in /usr/local/sbin How do I create the link to the files to get it to run? I understand if I right click on the desktop and select create a application link but I don't know where to go from there.Do you type the path in the window that pops up?Any input would be greatly appeciated -thanks:confused:

red hat 9.0 kde
your have it correct for gnome...i think it works the same for KDE....i use gnome ...and then browse to find the script firefox.sh....
to get the icon on your destop use the icon file in /usr/local/sbin/firefox....:)

foo

You should not install Firefox in /usr/local/sbin.

Download Firefox installer and extract in /usr/local or /opt or any partition you prefer, install it. Right click on your desktop, create an application link and browse firefox (executable) from the directory where you have installed it.

foo said:

Download Firefox installer and extract in /usr/local or /opt or any partition you prefer, install it. Right click on your desktop, create an application link and browse firefox (executable) from the directory where you have installed it.
out of curiosity....why you say that?.....i have firefox in /usr/lib/ and the script in /usr/bin?

Mr.Welder

foo said:

I'm curious as to why you suggest that as well.I have firefox installed in /usr/local/sbin and it is up and running great.As a matter of fact I'm using it right now to type this post.

it is my understanding that if you use a deb package mozilla-firefox will install properly in accordance with the debian packaging system and not create conflicts. i use the debian deb version in sarge...

however, i also understand that if you use a downloaded version in order to prevent problems it should be installed in the /usr/local hierachy .... the debian packaging systems will not interfere or create conflicts..:)

Mr.Welder

utanja said:
it is my understanding that if you use a deb package mozilla-firefox will install properly in accordance with the debian packaging system and not create conflicts. i use the debian deb version in sarge...

however, i also understand that if you use a downloaded version in order to prevent problems it should be installed in the /usr/local hierachy .... the debian packaging systems will not interfere or create conflicts..:)
ok thanks untanja ,I guess of potential conflicts is what foo was referring to.so far I haven't run into any conflicts so maybe everything is ok.

Mr.Welder said:
ok thanks untanja ,I guess of potential conflicts is what foo was referring to.so far I haven't run into any conflicts so maybe everything is ok.
it's utanja....not untanja....

however.....if you use the mozilla version from the tarball....all the files are contained in their own directory....so there would be no problem....however it is always good to follow the file hierachy....:)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts