1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Creating a backup partition on my hard drive?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by SpaceInvader75, Nov 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SpaceInvader75

SpaceInvader75 Thread Starter

I'm not sure if I'm doing this right. I did see some posts about backup up a system, but I'm not sure I understood the entire process, at least the way I did it. I'm not sure that I did it correctly, but I don't have an external hard drive (except for an 8GB usb drive, and that is not big enough). The purpose of my backup is just to make a recovery partition that I can copy, if something goes wrong. Obviously, if the hard drive fails, it's not going to help me, but many times things can go wrong with Windows.

I tried to use a Linux Based recovery program, but neither of my Linux live CDs that I've created seem to be able to load the kernel, for some reason, so while I'm researching that problem, I just used EaseUS partition, to make a 40 GB partition, that contains my Operating System with all of the updates. I probably could have made it smaller, but I figured I'd leave extra room just in case. Then I copied my drive C: onto a second backup partition of the same size. I left the HP recovery partition, and that left me with about 100GB of space for data storage. I plan to install programs on this partition.

But I have 2 questions concerning this:
    1. Is this really going to help if I get a virus, because the backup partition is not really protected?

2. How am I going to boot from this partition if my Windows system files become so corrupted that I cannot boot? I'm assuming I need some sort of recovery disk, I just don't have any experience with recovery (except using Windows disks and factory restall) and I really need to learn, considering how long it can take to update everything and install all your software, when something does go horribly wrong!

If I'm doing this the wrong way I'm open to suggestions. Again, right now my system doesn't appear to want to boot in Linux, and I do not have an external hard drive, so I have to do the best I can to work around those issues and have some sort of backup plan. Thanks for any suggestions.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I use Macrium Reflect Free to make a backup image of the system (to an external hard drive, but you can also do it to the partition you've created). I also create a "Rescue CD" to which I can boot to re-image the system from the backup image. Easeus Todo Backup is another popular free imaging program. There are many others.

3. SpaceInvader75

OK thanks. I think I also downloaded Macrium Reflect, so maybe I will try that first.

4. SpaceInvader75

I ended up using EaseUS to make a drive image on my data partition. I still have a 40 GB OS partition. I also used Todo Backup to make a linux startup disc. Thanks for the suggestions.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

6. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    One major problem with the backup saved to a partition, if there is a hard drive failure, then your backup is also gone.

7. pabuam

pabuam

Your question:
    1.It maybe some help.It's hardly to say.
    2.Bootable CD or USB drive automatically.
    My question:
    What do you think about Easeus and todo?
    I had used sometime but give it up now.

8. Zygmo

Zygmo

I have had nothing but good luck with EaseUS Todo. Make a second partition as Kevin did, or better yet add a secondary HDD. Make a bootable recovery disc from the EaseUS program. Get everything like you want it, and make a system image, stored on your second partition or HDD. For security, copy and paste that image on a USB HDD. If you don't have a separate backup plan for your personal data, you will need to do a full backup, which takes more space and time, of course. And EaseUS can be setup to do incremental backups of your data.

Actual HDD failure is pretty rare, or at least will usually give warnings. In 25 years or so of computer use, and having owned numerous computers with many HDDs, I have had one data unrecoverable HDD failure. However, program and boot file corruption can happen. A System image can be a life-saver, and can be used to reinstall the system after updating the HDD. However, with EaseUS, the replacement HDD has to be the same size, or larger.

I have tried Macrium and most of the other free image programs, but still prefer EaseUS for simplicity and dependability.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1112508

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice