Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

creating a bootable recovery disk

1K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Squashman 
#1 ·
not sure if this is the right forum (mods help plz)
I was wondering if there was a way to create a bootable recovery disk like the ones you get from dell to restore your pc like when you bought it is there one program that does it all or multiple together like nero and ghost or something like that thanks for your help

#2 ·
Basically, what I do when I build a new computer, is make two partitions on the drive. I install the OS on my first partition. After I have installed the OS, Drivers, MS updates, Software that I use alot, I take my Ghost bootdisk and make an image of drive to the other partition or it will also let you make one to a CDR. I will occassionly make another image when i install new software or make any major changes to my system. ie..hardware.

#4 ·
Originally posted by sdmf1919:
is that cdr bootable?
You wouldn't need it to be. You just boot with you ghost boot disk and have it restore the image from the cdr.

If you wanted a bootable cd, you would have to make a bootable cd with like Nero and copy your ghost boot disk to it, then copy your image to the cd. But your image will probably be bigger than one cd-rom so when you are making your image, there are switches you can use to tell ghost to make the image files a certain size. Once it has reached that size it will start another image file.

#7 ·
That would depend on how much software you are installing on the drive and how much compression you are using when making the image file. I know with Norton Ghost you can select how much compression you want. I have never been able to get my Windows XP installation onto one disk after all the stuff that I install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.