Creating a network using a standard hub

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mix0mat0sis

Hello all,
I'm currently helping someone setup a network between two computers (one Windows XP Home and one Windows ME) using a very cheap Kingston hub. The XP computer accesses the Internet through a dial-up connection. I'm trying to a) help them share files with each other, b) help them share a printer (connected to the Windows ME machine), and c) allow Windows ME to access the dial-up connection through the Windows XP machine.

Here's what I've done so far: I physically connected the two computers using 2 ethernet cables and the hub. I've enabled sharing on both computers, set the files that need to be shared, and added the TCP/IP protocol to both NICS in the LAN properties. I'm not sure what other protocols need to be running on the Windows ME machine for this to work (if there needs to be more)

I've run the network wizard on both machines, specifying the type of network and establishing a common domain name (MSHOME). I've run the network wizard on both computers because from the Windows XP machine, I'm unable to create a network disk for the Windows ME machine (the XP machine doesn't have a floppy disk drive) AND because of that, I can't use the Windows ME network disk either. So I just ran the wizard for both machines and said that it doesn't have to create a network disk.

I'm not sure what the TCP/IP configuration needs to be. Because I'm using a hub, I don't need a default gateway, correct? Also, do I need to setup a static IP address for both machines or can i just tell it to assign one dynamically? I did it both ways and tried to ping the other machine but all requests timed out.

This is what happens when i setup the machine using dynamic IP address configs: As soon as I restart, the network connection on the Windows XP machine says "Limited or no connectivity." Reparing the connection doesn't work and neither does unplugging the hub and restarting it. I can't ping the other computer (it times out) or see the other computer in my network places.

This is what happens when i setup the machine using static IP address configs: The "Limited or no connectivity" error doesn't appear on the Windows XP machine anymore but the machines still can't ping each other.

I believe that's everything I've done thus far. Any advice would be great. I know that once both computers can see each other, i should be ok establishing an internet connection on the Windows ME machine and sharing files/printers. Thanks!

Gice each a Static Ip Address on the ethenet side of the equation, properly configure any third party firewalls for access and that should be it.

Mix0mat0sis

I'm going to need the Windows XP disk to install netbeui on the XP machine, is that correct? I don't have the disks to either machine so if I can get something that wouldn't require them, that would be great. Thanks.

Mix0mat0sis

If i was to use the TCP/IP protocol, would I be able to assign 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3 as the IP addresses with the subnet mask being 255.255.255.0? Would I need a default gateway or a DNS server address at all with just a hub? Thanks.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Leave them blank, the IP and subnet address is all you need.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
To install NetBEUI on Windows XP:

Insert your Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive (close the Autorun window) and use the explore option from a right click of the drive in My Computer then go the \Valueadd\MSFT\Net\NetBEUI folder.

Copy Nbf.sys to the "Windows"\System32\Drivers folder.

Copy Netnbf.inf to the "Windows"\Inf folder (hidden: change the View Settings). (Where "Windows" is the name of the folder that windows is installed in) Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Network Connections.

Right-click the adapter you want to add NetBEUI to, and then click Properties .

On the General tab, click Install.

Click Protocol, and then click Add.

Click to select NetBEUI Protocol from the list and then click OK.

Restart your computer if you receive a prompt to complete the installation.

The NetBEUI protocol should now be installed and working.

If you have an OEM installation or don't have the XP CD, you can also download the necessary files from:

NETBEUI Install Files for XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!