1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Creating a Read-Only folder

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by DanRJFrost, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DanRJFrost

DanRJFrost Thread Starter

Hello,

Long time reader first time writer and all that jazz, thank you for all the help this forum has given me over the years without it even knowing but I need help with something I don't know if there is a solution for.

I work in an office consisting of 8 individual stand alone computers of which 7 are running Windows XP and one is running Windows 7, whilst all these systems are stand alone they all connect to a shared NAS drive. Some of the documentation stored in this drive is sensitive and I need to find a way to protect the versions found in it without cutting off access to them.

My thinking is to have a number of folders which theoretically are 'Read-Only', by this I mean users should be able to view the folders and all documents within them but cannot edit or delete documents and cannot save new documents here without a password.

Designated users will be given the password, this should enable them to edit the contents of the folder as well as add and remove files from this folder. In doing this all users can view the files but there is limited access for people wanting to change anything.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Do I require external software? if so can anybody recommend anything?

If I haven't explained it well enough (which is highly likely) please let me know what information you need.

Thanks

Daniel Frost

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Usually,you can just right click the folder and click properties.
    Click the security tab.
    There you can set users and permissions to grant or limit access.

3. DanRJFrost

I only have the option of tabs 'General' & 'Customise', the only security option I have is to set the folder with read only attributes but that doesn't seem to change anything.

I need to be able stop people changing any of the documents within the folder which includes adding and removing files from that folder.

I understand this is quite a complex thing to do and as I said before I don't even know if it is possible.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The title of the thread is a bit mis-leading. You're not really looking to make a folder "read only". You want to secure a certain folder and only allow a few people the ability to change its contents and files. That's a very different request.

What security software is available for the NAS? This functionality might already be built in. How are the computers networked?

5. DanRJFrost

I'm sorry for the misleading title, in my mind it was the correct terminology.

I'm not sure what security software is available, as far as I am aware there is none, the NAS isn't connected directly to any computer (simply attached via ethernet to the splitter) so I don't know how to check this.

I believe the system that is in place is that each of our computers and the NAS are attached to a central splitter giving each computer internet access and access to the NAS so as it stands all computers have equal access which is why I thought controlling permissions to the folder via password may be the best idea.

I'm sorry if I am not being overly clear on this.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

NAS is network attached storage. The hard drives must be in some type of enclosure that allows it to be connected to the network. What kind of device or enclosure are the drives in? What make and model? There should be some kind of admin software used to configure it. Who set it up originally?

By "splitter" I assume you mean a switch or router. You might want to contract with a local IT services company to help you.

7. DanRJFrost

I've been trying to persuade the company to get an IT company in but as of yet they have been resistant.

I've just been able to get access to the equipment and I do apologise it is connected to a switch (HP ProCurve 1410-8G Switch) and the NAS is enclosed in a Buffalo Linkstation (model: LS-Q2.OTL/R5).

Unfortunately the system was set up before I joined the company and there has been quite a high turnover of staff so I don't really have information on its setup.

I'm beginning to think more and more that in order to do it right it will involve getting someone in externally.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Why not just encrypt the folder with Windows or TrueCrypt?

9. DanRJFrost

But by encrypting it, does that not lock all access to the files unless the user has the appropriate password. So as I need all users to be able to view these files they would all need the password which then means there is no longer any protection on the files as everyone has full access.

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

TrueCrypt allows a read-only encryption, too. But I don't know if that applies to just an entire drive or individual folders as well.

If the drive is NTFS, it seems like it should be easy to set permissions for full access to some and read-only access to all others.

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

12. DanRJFrost

Thanks alot, I'll have a read through and hopefully it will come up with a solution

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029954

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice