1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Creating a Script File to run from a share

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by dant22185, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dant22185

dant22185 Thread Starter

Basically what I am looking to do is using a script file I have, save it to a share on a server, have the ability to run it from any local machine (via their run prompt) on the network to perform a function on the local machine.

Ideas?

2. dant22185

dant22185 Thread Starter

It appears I have stumped people. Let me know if I did not word this well enough and need to further explain.

3. geek117

geek117

Well first of all.... what is the function you are trying to run on their machine?

If you write a batch file and save it to a share, all you have to do is grant the "Everyone" group or "Domain Users" group "Read" permissions on the share. Then, from the "Run" window, you could simply type in "\\{SERVER NAME}\{SHARE NAME}\{FILE NAME}.bat" or something of the sort. This might require a bit more clarification.

Depending on what you are trying to accomplish, there may be an easier/better way to accomplish this. What server OS are you working with?

4. Rockn

Rockn

What is the script intended to do? It may also get hung up if the script needs adminitrative rights to run. Probably far easier ways to do what you want if it needs to be automated.

5. dant22185

dant22185 Thread Starter

I'm a dummy. I forgot to save the file as a batch. I was creating a file that would run a simple function of stopping a print service, killing the print jobs, and restarting the spooler. I am trying to create little files to run automatically from a server share. Anyone know of any other good ones I could possibly create for a common Desktop support environment?

6. Rockn

Rockn

Most of the stuff can be done with any number of the MMC snap ins available out of the box. Shell scripting is also another powerful tool which I have yet to come to grips with.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971426

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice