1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

creating a special boot disk for xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by 8-bit machine, Oct 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 8-bit machine

8-bit machine Thread Starter

I would like to create a disk so that when my computer is booting up it will not proceed unless a particular disk is in the computer. Example: your computer will not start unless it has "thumb drive x" plugged in.

I seen this done on a movie a long time ago. The guy started the computer but it wouldnt do anything because it didn't have "the disk" in the computer.

I've look online but can seem to find anything at all. I would like to do this with the computer in my dorm room. Could someone tell me if this is even possible or point me in the right direction?

i am running Windows XP SP2

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

3. 8-bit machine

8-bit machine Thread Starter

Almost what i'm looking for.. I don't even want the person to get to the Windows login screen. If they start up the computer and it does not detect "USb drive X" it wont go any further than the boot screen (the inital boot screen before windows).

It could also be like a floppy disk or something, dosent have to be a "USB drive".

I hope this is a bit more clear.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645615

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice