1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Creating A Timesheet in Microsoft Excel

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by yohanjackman, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yohanjackman

yohanjackman Thread Starter

Hey Guys!

I've been trying to create a Timesheet for a few days now...and I'm failing miserably!!:confused: ...I need to calculate lateness for employees...I just want to punch in the number and the amount of lateness in minutes would show in the following column. I've found a few formulas that help but when employees show up early with the formula I have, I get the following.."############" Can anyone help me out?? Even if you know any software that might solve the problem or a template of a timesheet that calculates this...Thanx a lot!

Yohan J.
    Georgetown, Guyana

2. slurpee55

slurpee55

Usually ##### (etc.) just means that the column is not wide enough - probably your formula is giving you the time with a long number of digits after the decimal point. Just format the cells as numbers with, say, 2 digits after the decimal or widen the column.

3. yohanjackman

yohanjackman Thread Starter

That isn't the problem...I checked the format for all the cells and everything...It still displays "#########"....I tried changing the format to number and trying to inout the data in the 1904 time system....didn't work...but I know definitely that the column width is not the problem....any other suggestions???

4. slurpee55

slurpee55

Really, the only reason I know of is that the column is not wide enough - try highlighting the column(s) and go to Format, Column, AutoFit Selection.
    When you click on one of the cells with ####### in it, what do you see in the Formula Bar at the top?

5. slurpee55

slurpee55

No offense meant, perhaps, Joe, but I don't come here to read advertising.

6. MakoShark

MakoShark

Hey, I agree with slurpee55 - I have worked with Excel for years, even teach it, and I think the only reason you would get a row of ####### in a cell is if the cell is not wide enough.

Try this:
    Say the cell you want to fix is B2, try double clicking on the line between A and B and on the line between B and C in the cell headings at the very top of your spreadsheet. This should fix column width.

If not, let me know and I'll see if I can dig around for you.

7. bomb #21

bomb #21

Certainly. :)

1. Stay completely away from the 1904 system. No good will come of it.

2. A "#########" display is not just a column width issue -- negative time will display that way too.

I suspect you have something like ... due start time in A1, actual start time in B1, and =B1-A1 in C1. You'll get "#########" in C1 if B1<A1, i.e. "Fred" showed up early. Try:

=IF(B1>A1,B1-A1,0)

, unless you want Fred to get a credit for showing up early rather than zero. That could be tricky ... but we'll cross that bridge etc. :)

8. bomb #21

bomb #21

Working with or working for? If the latter, PM me with your remuneration rates: I'm strapped for cash & Mrs Bomb needs her space. :)

9. deej

deej

Hi Yohan.

How soon do you need this? I have a couple of Excel worksheets that I've used for years: one to calculate debit/credit time on a flexible working hours system (input start, finish and lunch times to derive credit or debit against standard working hours for the day), and the other calculates elapsed time on client projects (input start and finish times and derive how much time has been spent on the project). I'm sure that one of them could be modified to suit your needs, but I won't have an opportunity to do it this week. If you can wait I'll make the changes and upload a copy for you.

Deej

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593695

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice