1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Creating a very basic macro

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by trainerjc, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. trainerjc

trainerjc Thread Starter

I am writing training material to teach users how to create macros in Excel 2003. We will only be using the macro recorder, no VBA. I am looking for suggestions that would be "real world" examples. To give you an idea, the material I'm updating contains macros for adding a header/footer, another for applying formatting to a range and a third for changing page orientation. The examples need to be fairly generic because the students come from various backgrounds and professions. I am having a hard time coming up with additional examples that don't seem to be contrived.
    TIA,
    Trainerjc

2. OBP

OBP

Copy & Paste.
    Copy & Paste Special as text.
    Print Out a Sheet.
    Save a Workbook.
    Open a Related Workbook.
    Find Some Text or Number.

3. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Autosize Columns
    Insert / Delete Rows
    Hide Columns / Rows
    Rename Worksheets
    Copy Worksheet to New Workbook
    Insert Worksheet / Delete Worksheet
    Freeze Panes / Rows
    Print Selection
    Sort Data
    AutoFilter

Regards,
    Rollin

4. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Hello Trainerjc, welcome to the board!

This seems to be a misnomer, but macros are in fact VBA. The only Office application which macros are not VBA is Access. VBA is the language in which your recorded macros are written by the macro recorder. When you record a macro and you view it (Alt + F11, opening the Visual Basic Editor), that is the programming language you see, VBA.

As far as your dilemma goes, there are some fine examples provided by both OBP and Rollin. I would try to think of it in terms of, "what do you do in Excel manually and what would it look like recorded by a macro?" Not everything is picked up by the macro recorder either.

Some things I would stay away from is importing/exporting data, connecting with external data sources, web queries, text to columns or creating objects (i.e. drawing objects, forms controls or control toolbox controls). The code generated from these are generally very difficult to understand for a novice. Also, if you do record your own macros, try not to select any unnecessary cells or scroll if necessary. This will always be portrayed in your code. I really advocate the macro recorder and should be everyone's best friend. If you're stuck with a piece of code, try the macro recorder to get a working syntax.

Hope This Helps

(Heya OBP/Rollin!)

5. OBP

OBP

Hi Zack.:)

6. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Zack,

Haven't seen you around for a while it's nice to have you back. For a minute there we thought you didn't love us any more :D

Regards,
    Rollin

7. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Hi guys,

I've started taking my prerequisites for my Paramedic, been keeping me busy. Haven't had much time for the forums, but of course I still love ya. Trying to get back in my spare time, catch as catch can really. Always enjoy seeing the friendly faces/names though. :)

8. trainerjc

trainerjc Thread Starter

Thanks for your suggestions. I do realize that the macro recorder is creating VBA. What I meant was that we would only be using it and not manually coding VBA. These are novice users and looking at the VBA editor is overwhelming for them right now. Thanks again!

9. MakoShark

MakoShark

Hi

I have used simple Macros for the following:

Entering autotext such as addresses/names/header and footer paragraphs (I know Autotext can do this, but it serves as an example and some people liek saying they use 'macros', makes them feel/sound tecchie).

All kinds of formatting. Certain styles preferred by the user. Again, Styles would be better here, but it serves the purpose again.

Hope this helps.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591529

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice