1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Creating a Windows Installation CD from your Recovery Disk!

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by RAM-PAGE, Feb 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned Thread Starter

Building an XP Home or Professional Installation CD suitable for also running SFC /SCANNOW from your OEM installation.

This is how I did it after first reading the article Creating a Windows Installation CD from your Recovery Disk

NOTE It is good practice to update your Anti-Virus and scan your computer before doing this operation.

You can also retrieve it, as I did, using the Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder

1. Follow these instructions to copy any OEM drivers. (NB I have NOT checked this out fully at this stage.)

These were the files which I copied for this particular machine.

Driver files copied to the I386 folder:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\cdrbsvsd.sys
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\cdrom.sys
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\imapi.sys
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\PxHelp20.sys
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\storprop.dll

2. With all the driver files copied to the I386 Folder I then burned the entire I386 Folder with all of its contents to a CDR.

3. Now the tricky part. You need these files from a regular XP CD to get it to Autorun and to identify it as SP1.

NOTE:
    If your installation is XP Home you MUST use files from an XP Home CD.
    If your installation is XP Professional you MUST use files from an XP Professional CD.

SETUP.EXE
    WIN51
    WIN51IP
    README.HTM
    SETUPXP.HTM
    AUTORUN.INF

You should now have a bootable Autorun XP SP1 CD.

4. Install AutoStreamer 1·0 and make sure that you have either the Free Microsoft SP2 CD or the 266Mb SP2 file from the MS Download Centre Windows XP Service Pack 2 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers

With the file name: WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe if you have an English language system.

If you have the Free SP2 CD copy the entire contents of the file to a folder on a hard-drive. (See: Screen-Shot.)

In this instance the CD-ROM drive is G: and the Service Pack File window reads F:\XPSP2\XPSP2.EXE

If you had the 266Mb download the Sevice Pack File line would read F:\XPSP2\WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe

After AutoStreamer Analyses the Service Pack File it will show the build. E.G. Build 5.1.2600.2180.(SP2)

Press NEXT and type in the .ISO file name for the new file. I.E. F:\XPSP2\XPHOMESP2.ISO

Now click FINISH to build the .ISO file. (This takes about 25 minutes.)

5. When the .ISO file is complete exit AutoStreamer and burn a CD-ROM(ISO) from the newly made .ISO file. (I use NERO Burning to do this.)

The finished result will be an XPSP2 CD, either Home or Professional, according to your particular installation, made from YOUR files in the I386 folder on your drive.

6. You should now be able to use this XPSP2 CD on your OEM installation to run SFC /SCANNOW or to do a clean install of XP when you no longer require the use of any of your outdated OEM software, or if you ever fit a new drive and don't want to do an OEM install procedure, as I did. (I had to buy the full version of XP Professional as I didn't already have XP.)

Disclaimer.

It is up to you to test this CD as to its suitability. I accept NO responsibility for what YOU do with YOUR computer.

I just hope that it may help you, if you so need it.

Original reference Creating a Windows Installation CD from your Recovery Disk

Attached Files:

2. Kenny94

Kenny94 Banned

The Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder also retrieves Microsoft Office products keys on your computer. Microsoft Office 2003 etc,etc.... Handy to have when you’ve misplaced your key and need it to reinstall/repair a piece of software! Thanks Rampage. (y)

3. Stoner

Stoner Banned

Thanks for the link Iain (y)..............:D

4. RAM-PAGE

It's a pleasure Jack, as always. I tried that with the pancakes and got nowhere.

Alligators can't get a pilot's licence is why.

You sure you're not a Lawyer? :)

5. RAM-PAGE

Have you tried it out Jack?

6. Stoner

Stoner Banned

Not yet, Iain.
    My intention is to get at it eventually, but since 99% of what I do is with 98se, I've been lax at getting around to it.

I've copied your last post for referrence (y)

smilin' Jacques :D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/334698