1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Creating a wireless Repeater

Discussion in 'Networking' started by techboy102, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. techboy102

techboy102 Thread Starter

Hi guys, I'm trying to spread the wireless out around my 2 story house and have 2 wireless routers.
    The setup:
    One is a Siemens SpeedStream 6520 Series that was given to me by my ISP.
    The second router I have is a Linksys wrt160n v3 router that has dd wrt firmware installed on it. I want to move this router up to my second floor and have the wireless router from the week Speed stream to be amplified by the linksys. I followed the guide on the dd wrt website:
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Universal_Wireless_Repeater but my wireless signal is not repeated.
    Additional Details:
    My linksys broadcasts a signal in repeater mode but can't seem to find the speedstream. I've also tried disabling all security and both routers just to make sure that wasn't an issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks.

2. Nick Tompson

Nick Tompson

As far as i know the 6520 doesnt support Wireless Distribution...

3. techboy102

....Sorry what is wireless distribution?

4. Nick Tompson

Nick Tompson

Wireless distribution system... or WDS.. has to be supported in order for bridging or repeater modes to function. It has never been easy setting up WDS (what you are trying to do) with cross-manufacturer devices.

I actually have a TP-Link wireless access point that uses repeater mode through "Universal repeater" which does not use WDS. It repeats the signal from my Dynalink router perfectly... perhaps you should look into that :)

5. techboy102

Isn't the guide i'm using for a universal repeater. Sorry for my ignorance.

6. Nick Tompson

Nick Tompson

Oops. Your ignorance? Err... actually excuse my ignorance.
    How did I manage to overlook that...

Anyway.
    MIght seem obvious, but make sure both devices are on the same channel... if its not detecting the Speedstream at all, that could be it.

Sorry! Ridiculous mistake by me there. :$

7. techboy102

haha no problem. And yes they are both on the same channel.

8. Nick Tompson

Nick Tompson

A rare thought, what happens if you move the linksys closer to the speedstream and see if it detects it then... Probably the last-case scenario, but perhaps the speedstream is no longer range.

I used to own the very same speedstream, and the wireless wasn't good at all with it.

9. techboy102

yea i know but the speedstream has 4 bars when i connect it to my laptop in the same room.

10. Nick Tompson

Nick Tompson

Did it make a difference having the linksys within a very close range of the 6520?

11. techboy102

No it didn't

12. Nick Tompson

Nick Tompson

Interesting.
    Okay so the issue is that in the config for the linksys, the speedstream isn't listed as a wireless client... is thar right?

13. techboy102

Sorry wouldn't the linksys show up as a client for the Speed stream? since the linksys is gonna be the repeater.

14. Nick Tompson

Nick Tompson

Universal repeater mode works the same way as connecting a wireless device to your 6520.
    The linksys simply connects to the 6520 (therefore it is a client)... it receives the signal and then repeats it. The 6520 has no facility in its interface for wireless repeating... (unless the firmware on mine didnt have it! but im quite sure it does not).

Can you enter the mac address for the 6520 into the linksys repeater?

15. techboy102

where would I enter that? under the WDS tab?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972114

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice