Creating a "working" ZIP Boot Disk?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

quantass

I've looked all over the net but just cant seem to find a reliable source for creating a zip boot disk. I own an Iomega ZIP 100 internal ATAPI drive and would like to place my drive image app onto it. I want the zip disk to be bootable not unlike a standard floppy disk. My OS is Windows 2000 Pro so FORMAT /S and FDISK /MBR are no where to be found. Tools which allow me to copy the MBR of floppies refuse to transfer the sector image to the much larger capacity Zip disk.

I'm currently testing the Acrolis True Image drive image app which has crerated a rescue disk for me. It seems geared toward floppy disks but it was successful in installing the DOS rescue data to my Zip disk. A quick scan of the sector 1 on the Zip disk reveals something like a MBR, though on rebooting and using the Zip disk I get the error message: Non-system disk. The BIOS has the boot order of ZIP, Floppy, the HDD-0. The MBR appears to be identical as the floppy MBR but the Zip disk generates the Non-system Disk error message. Weird.

How do i successfully create a bootable Zip disk for my DOS-based 5MB drive image app? Normally under MSDOS I'm able to access the ZIP Drive (as B: or D:) without any extra drivers. I suppose the motherboard BIOS is handling all of this.

You're right about that BIOS controlling boot process. Though I'm not too experienced with bootable media, I can tell you that if you go into BIOS and you see anything that remotely resembles a boot order menu, go to it and change the boot order so that the drive you want to boot from is first in the list. Your BIOS is probably different, but mine displays the name of the device, and not the drive. If yours is like that, it is much easier of course, because there's no guessing game. :)
After you're done doing that, you can just go back into BIOS and reverse the changes. I hope this works, because ZIPs might just not be bootable. I really don't know personally. But I know what I said above from personal experience.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!