1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Creating an image of my Windows 7 vomputer

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by FLYNNE, Aug 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FLYNNE

FLYNNE Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD A6-4400M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, AMD64 Family 21 Model 16 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 7650 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7600M Series, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 931724 MB, Free - 863424 MB; D: Total - 21840 MB, Free - 2343 MB;
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 18A7
    Antivirus: Norton Internet Security, Updated and Enabled

I wish to make a full image of my Window 7 computer on a USB Flash Drive.

Is this possible ?

What size (Gb) of drive would I require and how would I go about making an image ?

Regards

FLYNNE

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    An "image of my Window 7 computer" makes me think of using a (digital) camera to take a picture, copy the resulting image to a computer, and then copy the image to a USB flash drive.

What do you really mean? To image all the partitions on the (1 TB?) hard drive?

3. Lance1

Lance1

4. FLYNNE

FLYNNE Thread Starter

Hello Terynet and Lance 1

Thank you both for your quick responses.

I want to image the whole hard drive ( 1 TB).

I presume the external USB flash drive on which the image is created will have to be 1TB.

I don't think 1TB USB flash drives are available .

Will I have to burn this information on digital DVD's or many Flash Drives.

Please advise

Regards

Flynne

5. Lance1

Lance1

The size of the image would be the size of C:\ Highlight the C:\ and select properties. There you'll see the amount of data to be backup up.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Looks like you're using 100 GB to 150 GB of the hard drive. Most imaging programs compress the data, so that is the upper end for the image size.

I use Macrium Reflect Free to image to an external hard drive. I do not know if it will accept an USB flash drive for the destination.

7. FLYNNE

FLYNNE Thread Starter

Hello Terrynet and Lance 1

Pardon me for being a little slow.

Terrynet says "Looks like you're using 100 GB to 150 GB of the hard drive" - does this mean I can use 150GB capacity Flash USB Drive to create the image ?

Regards

Flynne

8. Lance1

Lance1

The image is compressed so I can't see why you can't use a 150. Did you highlight and right click the C:\ and check the properties to see what the actual size is?

9. kenbok51

kenbok51

In your specs you show a C drive and a D drive. You could create your image of C onto D. But if I were you and even thinking about purchasing a huge flash drive for one image, I would go for an even bigger external USB drive for many backups and additional storage. I prefer Acronis myself and quite a few external drives come with it bundled in there software.

10. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Bad idea to create an image on the internal hard drive. If the hd dies, you have no image.

I buy external portable hard drives. They would be better for long term storage than a USB stick.

example of what I use: http://www.walmart.com/ip/WD-My-Passport-Ultra-1TB-External-Hard-Drive-Assorted-Colors/44786025

I image four Windows 7 computers monthly. I own 6 of these in 500GB, 1TB and 2TB sizes. I rotate the monthly images so if one drive dies, I still have images available.

11. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
  12. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    captainron276, that goes against what the OP wants to do - make an image OFF the computer. You do not create a partition and put the backup on the hard drive! If the hard drive dies, everything is gone. You want the backup stored off the computer.

Windows 7 allows you to create partitions without installing yet more software.
    I used Windows 7 inbuilt tools to partition two of our four windows computers to store movies on a partition rather than in C. That way, when I do my monthly images (stored off the computer), I am not backing up all the movies every month.

13. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
  14. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I don't understand. A partition assistant is for partitioning a hard drive.

http://www.aomeitech.com/download.html
    AOMEI Backupper would be the proper program to
    Backup, Clone, and Restore Software.

15. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    It also does a complete copy of the HD. I will ckeck out the Backupper.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!