1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

creating antivirus floppies

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by rl56, Feb 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rl56

rl56 Thread Starter

i have norton's 2002 pro system works on my computer. i am trying to create some antivirus floppies, but cannot find the .exe for norton's antivirus when i'm in dos so that i can copy it onto my floppies...i see several nav**.exe,but i am not sure what is what?

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Can you explain a bit more what your end mission is?

If you had this pre-installed and are trying to figure out a way to copy the program to floppies....it isn't going to happen.

3. TOGG

TOGG

rl 56,

I have NAV 2003 NOT Systemworks but I assume the AV part of Systemworks is the same program.

This is what NAV Help says about creating Rescue floppies (I assume that's what your query is about)?.

"Rescue Disks can be created at any time. If you have chosen to create Rescue Disks as a post-install task in the Information Wizard, the Rescue Disk Wizard appears automatically. Otherwise, you can start the Rescue Disk Wizard from the Norton AntiVirus main window.

If you start the Rescue Disk Wizard from the Norton AntiVirus main window, temporarily disable Auto-Protect while you are creating the Rescue Disk set. If you do not restart your computer after creating Rescue Disks, remember to enable Auto-Protect again.

You will need several formatted 1.44 MB disks.

To create Rescue Disks
    Start Norton AntiVirus.
    In the Norton AntiVirus main window, click Rescue.
    If you chose to make Rescue Disks as a post-install task, the Rescue Disk Wizard opens automatically.
    Select drive A to create the Rescue Disk set.
    Click Create.
    Label the disks as specified in the Basic Rescue Disk List window, then click OK.
    Insert the disks as requested."

You actually need 7 disks for NAV 2003 but I don't know if that is the same for Systemworks.

4. ~Candy~

Email from poster:

This is the message:

to further your response to my post: what i want to do is create several floppies that can scan a computer for viruses before botting to the os. i had read that you can create floppies with the antivirus exe on them that would do this, after which if a virus is detected you would toss the floppy? am i making sense?

My reply:

Sorry for the delay in responding......it appears you got some good input from TOGG.

After you make the floppies, write protect them by moving the little tab over, that way nothing can be written to them, and you wouldn't have to toss the floppies..........

5. TOGG

TOGG

Aca Candy,

I don't think Rescue disks do what rl 56 wants.

As far as I am aware, they are for occasions when your computer refuses to start due to some virus related problem, at which time you boot from A and the Rescue disks do a scan and then dump you in Safe Mode, or similar, so that you can Troubleshoot.

I haven't heard of anything that lets you do that from choice, rather than as the result of an emergency of some sort. You are correct in saying that you don't junk Rescue disks. You are supposed to update them when the AV definitions get updated. I update definitions daily and my Rescue disks weekly.

6. ~Candy~

Thanks for the clarification there TOGG...hardware girl, not software :D I don't even have rescue disks :D Virus program always turned off.....do as I say, not as I do ;)

I'm thinking that there is a download that may be what he's looking for......I can't remember the name of it exactly, P-something? or F- something? Rollin' Rog recommends it quite often.....maybe a search thru the security section?

7. TOGG

TOGG

Shame on you !!!

I'll send you details about joining the Paranoid School of Computing (founder member, treasurer and secretary ME).

Could you be thinking of F-Prot?. I've seen it mentioned here and elsewhere but know nothing about it.

8. ~Candy~

:D

That's it....covered both letters didn't I :)

Yes, it fits on floppies and allows a scan.....I used it once unsuccessfully, but I think it was just me ;)

Email the details :D

9. VirtualMe

VirtualMe

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117587

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice