1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Creating backup disks for HP recovery

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by whitelightnin, Jun 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. whitelightnin

whitelightnin Thread Starter

Ok, I have no problem with creating these, I did this so that my hp recovery partition will be on disks, instead of on my computer, so i can use that partition that it is on for storage.

So before i created these disks, I had around 34gigs of hard drive space on my c:/ drive. The way creating these disks worked for me, was I clicked on recovery disk creation in recovery manager, and that apparently saved the recovery files, to my c:/ drive. Because after I did this, my hard drive space went down to 22gigs, and my recovery partition says that it is around 11gigs, so these numbers do make sense.

I have the disks created, and I dont know why it saved the files to my computer before burning the discs, but it did. Either way, my disks are done, and now I want to find where these recovery files saved to my c:/ drive so that I can delete them.

Does anyone know where I could find these and what the folder name might be?

I want to delete them off of the hard drive, as well as delete them off of the recovery partition, so that I can use that space for other stuff.

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    First ... Do NOT use the HP recovery partition for ANYTHING ...
    and there's no reason to try to delete anything in it.

Now that you have the recovery DVDs .. (assuming they will work) ...
    you might be able to delete the recovery partition ... But let's save this for later.

I'm thinking you may have misleading C partition numbers ...
    Have you performed a disc cleanup .. or maybe a defrag ??

Maybe a search of the C partition for stuff created when you made the recovery DVDs

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    What's the Make n Model number of this HP ??
    Vista or XP ??
    Can you post a screen shot of your Disc Management screen ??
    ... something like this ...

Attached Files:

4. whitelightnin

Well, I was looking at this last night before I created the disks, and this F:/ disk was not there. Wait, sorry im an idiot, thats my flash drive

Attached Files:

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    looks like you have about 50>60gig of personal Data stored in the C partition.
    Do you have this Data backed up to DVDs .. or maybe an external HDD ???
    Is this a Vista Laptop ???

Press ALT+CRTL+S .. (all at the same time)
    What's the HP model number ??

6. whitelightnin

hp pavilion dv6700. Yes its vista. no i dont have this backed up, not even really sure what the easiest way to do that is.
    Im not sure why youre saying not to use the recovery partition for anything since i have it on a disk now

7. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    There's not enough spare room in the recovery partition to use it for anything else.
    All it can be used for is to recover your computer back to the way it came from the factory ..
    Restore HP supplied applications ..
    or make the Recovery DVDs.

You can burn all your Personal Data to DVDs ..
    But nothing beats having an external Hard Drive to backup your computer with.
    You can even backup the operating system by "Imaging" the HDD .. to an External HDD
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-drive-imaging-program.htm

This is a better (alternate) way to recover your HDD ... in addition to using the recovery DVDs.

I'm thinking that you're running a little short of Spare space in the C partition ...
    Maybe it's time to start thinking about a bigger HDD ..
    or off load some of your Data to a USB external HDD

a dv6700 doesn't show up in HP's web site ???
    http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Look...h_query=pavilion+dv6700&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/835705

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice