1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Creating bootable image of C: drive with larger partition?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by syc0path, Feb 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. syc0path

syc0path Thread Starter

My work computer has a 128GB SSD that's just about full. I'm getting a 1TB SSD today to replace it. Is it possible to transfer the contents of the current 128GB drive to the new 1TB drive, remove the 128GB drive, and then have the 1TB drive become the new C: drive. Would I be able to boot from the 1TB drive, and could I create a single 1TB partition on that drive?

As I recall, Windows won't allow what I'm trying to do -- they want u to have to reinstall Windows instead. That of course would also require reinstallation of all my other programs, many of which would require the involvement of our IT department, and they suck. But I did find some utilities that claim they can do it (for example, https://lifehacker.com/hot-image-you...age-xml-326086 ).

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    One way is to make a backup image (as in that link you gave) of the partitions needed (often this will be more than just the "C drive") to recreate the system. You can then restore the image to a different hard drive or SSD. FWIW, I use Macrium Reflect Free.

Another way, if you can install/mount both the old and new disks simultaneously, is to clone the old disk to the new.

After using either of the above methods you can resize partitions. I use the free EaseUS Partition Master, but there are many others and sometimes even Windows' Disk Management can handle the chore.

Creating a single partition on the new drive is not going to work if there are multiple partitions after the restore or clone, and may not be wise even if there is only the one partition, but that is your choice.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222693

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice