1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Creating bootable slave drive for transfer.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Miseiko, Nov 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miseiko

Miseiko Thread Starter

So I recently had an issue with my computer blue screen crashing on boot. It did this for around 3 days shooting out errors like IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED, INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DRIVE and a few others I don't remember. Automatic repair also blue screen crashed, a portable boot drive actually purple screened which was interesting, no error just a lot of purple and then powering itself off. With pretty much nothing left I figured it must be some kind of corrupted file so thought "Hey, lets just slap it in as a slave drive to my other pc, format it, pop it back in to its original pc and then try the boot drive." Yeah, little issue with that, forgot about USB hub drivers x.x So here's my question, is there a way to install windows 10 onto a formatted HDD running as a slave drive with generic drivers to be able to boot into my normal pc as if it were factory new? If so please help cause the only tool I found was the bootable drive one and I really want my better pc back up and running. As for anyone wondering what I was doing when it crashed, I was legit just watching markiplier scream at wade for being dumb and getting him killed, then poof, blue screens for days so no idea as to the root cause.

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

"INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DRIVE" indicates the Hard Drive is dead or dying. Test it with the manufacturer's Hard Drive Diagnostics utility to make sure it is okay. If it is 'dying', it will need to be replaced.

No, you cannot install Windows onto an external USN drive that will then be used as the boot drive for another, different machine. One of the first things the Windows Installation Routine does is determine what hardware is in the computer and then install itself to run on that particular hardware setup. So, if the hardware is different between the two machines, Windows either won't boot or if it can, won't run right.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1236292

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice