1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Creating color backrounds for file directories

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by hyler, Sep 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hyler

hyler Thread Starter

OK, first off my site is http://www.progressiveguitar.com

Right now I have it so once the main PHP page opens, you click "Click Here for our full Tab Archive" and you can see all our tablature files. However, it would be nice if I was able to customize the view of this page for users, is this possible? Maybe making the backround a different color?

OK, if that's not possible. Is there anyway to tell a program like PHP nuke to have all files in a certain directory viewable under the downloads section (accessible from the "Tabs" button)?

2. Mithrilhall

Mithrilhall

Since your site has a login area I'm going to assume you're using cookies in some parts of your site.

Why not write multiple CSS files and the members of your site can choose the one they want. Store the value they choose in their cookie and have a php script check the cookie when they revisit the site and load the appropriate CSS.

I hope that makes sense.

3. Rockn

Rockn

I believe you are right about using a custom CSS for users and I think that is how most sites kind offer custom skins for their users. You could go as far as different color buttons, etc. with your style sheets as well.

4. hyler

hyler Thread Starter

OK, let's say I have a CSS sheet that will interface with the directory ready to go. What do I upload it as? Will it automatically be viewed when people open the directory? Or will I have to write an index file for that particular fold with code telling the browser to display the directory view with the specific settings in the CSS?

Keep in mind this is what I'm talking about when I say directory view http://progressiveguitar.com/tabs/

5. hyler

hyler Thread Starter

bump

6. Rockn

Rockn

You can't really do anything with the default index view used by the web server, you pretty much get what you get. Apache may have some configuration files you can set for individual users like an htaccess file you can configure

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!