Creating multiple imaged poster

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kingmatt

Hi,
I've recently returned from a holiday and want to make a poster using the images that I took on my camera. Digital camera.
I've found a commercial photo printer that will print an A2 sized print for an acceptable price.
I've made a multi photo image in powerpoint and wish to save it so the companies printer can see it. The total image has many overlapping photo's that looks great, but only if I can get the company to print it. The effect is like a collage.
If I save it as a powerpoint slide the file size is 52mb, which considering the amount of images seems fair.
But will the printer be able to print from a powerpoint slide at an acceptable level of data?
I tried doing a cut and paste into irfanview and saving as a jpeg, but that only gave me a 900kb file, which for an A2 sized poster I think wouldn't be that great a quality.
Is there a better program I should be using? I've got photoshop but I haven't been able to work out how to get the effect I'm wanting.
Scuse for rambling.
Advice welcome:cool:

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
What format did you save the Irfanview file in ?
Irfanview can create collages ... see - Image > Create Panorama.
The overall pixel size will be determined by the size of the prints and their alignment.

Photoshop is the best - but not sure what effect you're looking for.

kingmatt

Thought I'd send up an example of the effect I'm trying to achieve.
Ive had to zip it for possibly obvious reasons.
Matt

Attachments

This is very easy to do with Picasa---a free download. Just hi-lite the pics you want in the collage and pick collage. It saves about 1280 x1280 and looks real good. As far as printing it goes, alot has to do with the resolution of the compenent pictures. From what you sent, I dont think its going to look very good. I did one with individual jpegs shot at 2560x1920 pixels and it looks pretty good.

kingmatt

I'll have a play with picassa.
Example sent very low res to get past posting limits
Thanks

Oh good---make sure that as you select the pics to go in your collage, that you hit the 'hold" button so each one is retained in the tray. Then click collage, picture grid and you are good to go. It really does an excellent job.

kingmatt

Picasa nice program. Looks useful, but not for this task.
I found it limiting that I can't move photo's or change the order that they will display in. That the overlaping effect that I want as in my example appears to be beyond it is unfortunate.
But nice system of grouping and cataloging the phot's on my hard drive.
Matt

Yeah, it automates everything---I have to run now but I can take you through how to do it in Photo Shop when I get back. I use Picasa to capture my pics, connect it to Photoshop for individual editing. I find that Adobe Bridge is just to slow to boot and I like the way Picasa gives you options to do stuff quickly that doesn't necessitate opening up PS. Anyway, good luck.

kingmatt

Thanks.
As you seemed certain that I could do it in photoshop I've had another go using it. Its not quite as idiot useable but its workable.
I'll see where I get to with it and get back if I run into trouble, thanks for your time Linskyjack and Noyb.

Attached is an example, each image frame can be re-sized and the number of images selected. The position of each image can also be selected. They can also be overlapped as your example.
:)

Attachments

This should be as simple as "copy & paste" in seperate layers. I did this in 5 minutes with PaintShopPro7, but PhotoShop is more than capable too. It is all about using the layers an then you can manipulate the image as you like. You can even save a master copy containing those layers and modify it later to suit your needs.

Attachments

Photoshop does the job well.

Go File>New. Set the dimensions of the new file at 420 X 594 and 8 bit RGB. I would suggest 200 PPI unless you have at least a Gig of RAM. That gives a 44Mb file and will use up your RAM pretty fast with multiple layers, history etc.

If you don’t want a colored background you would probably choose white as the white paper will show through anyway, and the montage will look like the finished print showing any white spaces you missed.

To get a colored background, double click the background color box in the toolbar and select a color before making the new file. Then choose background color when you make your new file. With everything stacked together as in your sample you wouldn’t want a colored background.

Open your other images one at a time and crop them. Then use the move tool in the upper right of the toolbar to drag them into your new file. File>Transform>Scale to resize them after you have dragged them into the file. Hold the Shift key while you drag the corners and it will maintain the proportions while you resize them. You can also move them around with the move tool or anytime by holding the spacebar. The last image you moved into the file is the active layer, but if you want to rearrange images you’ve already pulled in just select that layer in the layers palette.

All of that is easy and fast in Photoshop. If you want a more artistic montage with feathered edges blended into each other or some more transparent, that is easy to do as well.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online