1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Creating network software licensing

Discussion in 'Networking' started by benmc123444, Mar 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benmc123444

benmc123444 Thread Starter

Hi, I'm looking for some practical advice towards setting up a network between my computer in Aus and another computer in Philippines.
    The purpose of the connection between the two computers will be solely for software licensing. I.e. as per technical advise received from the software distributor here in Aus, they suggest installing the license on a license server here and granting access to that license server to the computer in the Philippines by way of a VPN. Makes perfect sense.
    But that's sort of where they're technical assistance ended. I'm trying to fill in the gaps and work out, in practical terms, how exactly to achieve this.

To summarise: If I use my machine as the "server", how exactly do I go about creating a connection between my machine and the one overseas.

I'm not familiar with creating networks particularly these types of networks, after hours of googling, I'm none the wiser.

Thanks for you help!

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

The easiest VPN solution to implement is an SSL VPN. These solutions can run in either clientless mode or with an agent installed. Clientless provides a web portal for any user to authenticate. Once the user has authenticated, the user is presented with a desktop/dashboard on their web browser of all authorized applications the user has been granted access. The user then clicks on the any icon and the SSL VPN concentrator acts as a proxy connecting to internal resources on behalf of the remote user. Going this route does not require the user to install anything and is secure as all traffic is over an SSL encrypted session.

The next option is through an agent. This is what most people identify as a VPN where the remote box is creating a secure/virtual tunnel into a corporate network. The positive is the remote box appears to be connected into the corporate network as any other box at the corporate network. The negative is this setup requires much more extensive work to get operating.

If you don't understand the basics around VPN technology, it's best to hire a firm to help you implement this solution.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225183

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice