1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Creating new partition with Win2k

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Grenge, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Grenge

Grenge Thread Starter

I have a laptop setup with Win2k as the only partition on the hard drive. I wanted to create a new partition to put Dos 6.22 on since some Dos programs we use don't work on Win2k's version of Dos. The Win2k partition is NTFS and the Dos one as Fat.
    I made a Ghost image of the partition with Win2k, then created the two partitions on the HDD. Then I put the Ghost image onto the first partition and had the second for Dos. When I tried to boot up the laptop, it said system not found.
    I also tried running Win2k setup after that and tried to repair the installation, but still no help. Is there anything else I need to do to get the laptop to recognise Win2k or would I need a third party boot menu program? I wan't to have the selection there when the computer loads up for either Win2k or Dos.

2. mal1930

mal1930

Hi, When you ran the repair CD did it find the OS. I think your best and quickest way of fixing it is for you to reinstall win2k.

Usually windows expects the operating system to be on the C drive. Is it so in your case.

You could try a boot manager to see if that would help but it should be simpler than that. Peace Mal

3. Grenge

Grenge Thread Starter

It did find the OS, and the operating system is on the C:drive.

I would just reinstall but there are so many little things I changed to set the security on it that I couldn't remember everything and it would take ages to set up again.

4. mal1930

mal1930

HI, I have never used Ghost to clone a drive. The only other idea I had was that XP and I presume W2k likes to be the last OS installed.

I don't know much about W2k but XP sets up a dual menu automatically and if W2k is the same maybe this is the problem.

I think you need someone that is better than me to help you. Just wait a little while and see if any body else answers. Peace Mal

5. Tushman

Tushman Banned

Grenge,

I have 2 questions 4 u.
    1) What program did u use 2 create those partitions with?

2) If W2K is still on the primary partition, did u make sure that it was set as "active"?? Windows needs atleast 1 primary partition set as active in order to boot up.

6. Grenge

Grenge Thread Starter

I created the partitions with Fdisk, and I don't think I set an active partition. Maybe that was the problem.

I downloaded a program from PC World called Ranish Partition Manager V2.42 beta. It has a partitioner and boot menu included and it did the job, but I will also try setting the active partition the other way because I don't like the boot menu too much.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FWIW, when I want an MS-DOS/W2K-XP dual-boot, I normally just convert the boot drive to FAT32 and install them both there. It's pretty easy, since MS-DOS and W2K don't have any conflicting files, they happily coexist on the same logical drive.

8. Tushman

Tushman Banned

Grenge, i don't have any personal experiences with Ranish. (I only use Partition Magic). If your windows OS was booting up fine before you installed your MS DOS OS, it indicates that there was certainly an active partition set - otherwise the PC wouldn't have booted up at all (that is before your troubles began).

If i understand you correctly (from your recent reply); you had your primary C:\ partition with W2K installed it. Then afterwards you used FDISK to create a partition on that same drive - right? Well i'm sorry mate, but FDISK doesn't work that way. FDISK is used to create partitions when you are doing a clean format.

At this point, my gut instinct would be to start over and do a clean install. The other (undesireable) option is to try and undo in essence what you did with FDISK.

I doubt this will work for you now but as a last resort you could try it.

Grenge, I have no idea if this will work or not. If you're going to try this please do so at your own risk!

Go back into FDISK and choose option 4) Display Partition Information. Verify that you have one Primary partition and one logical partition.

** (Take note of the size of both partitions; if your primary is 4 GB and the logical is 2 GB, after you're all done with this your primary should add up to 6 GB.) Go back and choose option 3) delete partition or logical DOS partition.

Don't format anything because at this point, you will seriously risk losing everything on that HDD. Just delete the extra partition you create (the one you installed MSDOS 6.22 onto).

Then exit out of FDISK and at a DOS prompt type "/mbr" without the quotation. Reboot the laptop with a boot disk and go back into FDISK and choose option 4) again. Check to verify that the extra partition is now deleted and shows the correct size being reported **. Reboot the laptop again but this time with your W2K CD. choose the option where it gives you to "Fix this installation of W2K".

Again i make no promises that this will work so do it at your own risk or see if one of the moderators here can give you a better alternative.

9. Grenge

Grenge Thread Starter

I have a Ghost image of the Win2k partition so it doesn't matter if it goes wrong.
    When I was mentioning using fdisk, I meant I had created the two partitions with fdisk then loaded the Win2k Ghost image onto the first partition and had a second partition formatted ready for MS Dos.
    I tried installing MSDos this morning and that is where things went wrong. MS Dos wanted to setup the drive and format for Dos. It formatted a section at the start of the HDD overwriting part of the Win2k partition. So now it is time to start all over again. :mad:
    I will probably try installing Dos first then put the Win2k image on the other partition.

10. Grenge

Grenge Thread Starter

Ok I'm getting close now.
    I partitioned the HDD with Ranish Partition Manager, and installed MS Dos on the first part of the HDD but it is marked as partition 2 (I think Ranish uses this for the boot menu). I then put the Ghost Image of the W2k partition on the second partition on the HDD which is marked as partition 1. The W2k partition is the active partition.
    With Ranish Partition is a boot menu that is not very customisable, but it worked. I then loaded the Win2k setup disk and used the "fixmbr" command to restore the win2k Boot menu and I altered the boot.ini so I could customise the menu a bit better. Unfortunately I'm not sure of the line in the boot.ini file to get Dos loading and I'm not sure if it would work with dos. I get an error when I try to load the other partition that says "Windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <windows 2000 root>\system32\ntokrnl.exe. Please re-install a copy of the above file." Win2k still loads fine.
    The line for W2k is
    "multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect"
    I know that to load from the other partition i change it to "partition(2)". If I was to load Win98 I would change the "\WINNT" to "\Windows". Do I need to put something different in for dos?
    Is there another boot menu program that would work better?

11. Tushman

Tushman Banned

Grenge, i don't know what advice 2 give you at this point as I have never dual booted with W2K and MS DOS 6.22. I'll let someone else or one of the moderators help you from here.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!